Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
Why is that their "only option"?

If they were keen to merge with their biggest competitors, something's rotten behind the scenes. It's either merge or go under and have the company taken apart piece like piece like Nortel.
(09-26-2017, 09:51 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: If they were keen to merge with their biggest competitors, something's rotten behind the scenes. It's either merge or go under and have the company taken apart piece like piece like Nortel.

Not necessarily... Bombardier Transportation is operating at around an 8% EBIT margin.  They have many orders on the go for many transportation agencies globally with the potential of more coming in. If any part of Bombardier is losing money right now it's the Aerospace division.
I've seen punditry calling that merger the 'end of Bombardier Rail'. It seems like real hyperbole to me - just because there's a change in your competition doesn't mean your days are numbered.
(09-26-2017, 10:32 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 09:51 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: If they were keen to merge with their biggest competitors, something's rotten behind the scenes. It's either merge or go under and have the company taken apart piece like piece like Nortel.

Not necessarily... Bombardier Transportation is operating at around an 8% EBIT margin.  They have many orders on the go for many transportation agencies globally with the potential of more coming in. If any part of Bombardier is losing money right now it's the Aerospace division.

And the aerospace division has an excellent new product -- the challenge is breaking the Boeing-Airbus duopoly.
A countervailing duty of 220% is going to make that more difficult.
Outside of the United States of Trump, it won't make any difference.

Why the Alstom - Siemens Mobility merger won't leave Bombardier out in the cold - Independent Rail Journal
Kind of a neat underground Funicular I hadn't heard of:

I'm actually far more curious about the old rubber-tired trains they show being yanked out from the original system! Look very Paris/Montreal metro-ish (with the flanged wheels inboard of the tires).
I was in Niagara today and saw that a new funicular is being built at the Hornblower site (formerly Maid of the Mist). No pictures, but the track is in place.
Wow, thanks for that! I remember seeing the overgrown tracks, and wondering what the history was.

Here’s an article, with some concept photos:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2016/11...y-for-2017
Oh cool! I grew up in the Niagara area. In the high school years, in my summer job  I was an operator of the Niagara Parks Falls Incline Railway. This was before it got its huge overhaul a few years ago. Not a bad summer gig, if I may say so myself.
Gah, I love Skytrain and ICTS so much...

Not sure how to classify this system, but it's an interesting premise:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/elon-m...-1.4008967
It's a waste of expensive geometry, is what I'd call it. Move the people, not the cars!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »