Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
(02-27-2017, 10:29 PM)Canard Wrote: Sorry, too many years on the defensive with all the monorail haters out there (it's exhausting).  Every transit technology has advantages and disadvantages.  Jamincan's outlined them perfectly.  I've been following the Rennes ligne b project for years because it's exciting to me; I think the vehicles are very attractive, and I like rubber tires.

Thanks, and no problem. His points do make some sense. I very much appreciate the photos and will definitely have to ride the system if I visit some day. I wouldn’t call myself a monorail fan exactly, but I’m also far from being a hater. My opinion of the appropriateness of monorail has improved in recent years with the large installations going in place like Malaysia — the fact that they are building large systems make it look less like a gimmick and more like serious transportation. If I remember correctly, in 2011 if our system had been built as monorail it would have been the 2nd longest in the world, and all the way to Cambridge would have made it the longest. I don’t believe that’t the case any more. People are funny about overhead structures though — I’ve seen “view obstruction” given as a significant downside of monorail. I mean, OK, I guess there is some overhead structure, but as you’ve pointed out, it’s really quite slim compared to the alternatives.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - by ijmorlan - 03-01-2017, 12:49 AM