Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
Here's a rarity - an action-movie scene on an LRV.

(Set in 1995 Los Angeles)

<twitter> https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/10...8160588807 </twitter>

Beautiful footage of one of the few Light Rail lines in Japan:

Interesting to see how relatively inconspicuous the catenary system is compared to Ion’s “in your face” approach.
(02-09-2019, 12:37 AM)Canard Wrote: Beautiful footage of one of the few Light Rail lines in Japan:

I absolutely love the grass between the tracks in a few areas, and the single-track segments where it works. Really good video, too, showing a lot of the details that somebody who is actually interested in the system would otherwise be wondering about.
(02-09-2019, 10:31 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 12:37 AM)Canard Wrote: Beautiful footage of one of the few Light Rail lines in Japan:

I absolutely love the grass between the tracks in a few areas, and the single-track segments where it works. Really good video, too, showing a lot of the details that somebody who is actually interested in the system would otherwise be wondering about.

The more I see that, the more I really love it too.  Are there any logical places it would work for our system?
Lots!

But, we had a decision: either have a shorter line with grass, or a longer line with no grass. We went for maximum length for dollar.

As in line of vehicles? Because of the cost associated?
Green track costs more to build and maintain than concrete.

So if the price is fixed, you have two choices:

-concrete and long
-grass and short

We chose concrete and long
I thought there was an Ottawa LRT thread somewhere, but I can’t find it, so just to note that there was a hint this week from an Ottawa Citizen reporter that Ottawa’s system may not be ready to role by March 31st, the date that came out of the previous postponement.
Could we not retrofit some of the corridor segments to have grass? Or does the ballast have to stay accessible?
(02-09-2019, 05:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I thought there was an Ottawa LRT thread somewhere, but I can’t find it, so just to note that there was a hint this week from an Ottawa Citizen reporter that Ottawa’s system may not be ready to role by March 31st, the date that came out of the previous postponement.

That's here, in the 'outside Waterloo Region' forum.
(02-09-2019, 05:29 PM)KevinL Wrote: Could we not retrofit some of the corridor segments to have grass? Or does the ballast have to stay accessible?

Ya, I'm curious too.  I'm sure it's probably number last on their list of importance when it comes to transit spending, but darn is it ever pretty.

(02-02-2019, 10:08 AM)KevinL Wrote: Here's a rarity - an action-movie scene on an LRV.

(Set in 1995 Los Angeles)

<twitter> https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/10...8160588807 </twitter>

Brie Larson was awesome in Scott Pilgrim....
Metro UK: New ‘trackless train’ which runs on virtual rail lines launched in China
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »