Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Poll: How would you rate ION service so far?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 Stars
27.78%
20 27.78%
4 Stars
47.22%
34 47.22%
3 Stars
5.56%
4 5.56%
2 Stars
1.39%
1 1.39%
1 Star
0%
0 0%
0 Stars
1.39%
1 1.39%
I haven't ridden it yet
16.67%
12 16.67%
Total 72 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you rate ION service so far?
(06-29-2019, 10:55 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think the chime should be reserved for when the doors are closing because the driver pressed the “close” button, not for when a door is closing because there is nobody occupying the doorway.

Not possible - the chime is for safety reasons to let the visually impaired know they need to get out of the doorway. Therefore it sounds every time the door closes.

(06-29-2019, 11:13 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 10:55 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think the chime should be reserved for when the doors are closing because the driver pressed the “close” button, not for when a door is closing because there is nobody occupying the doorway.

Not possible - the chime is for safety reasons to let the visually impaired know they need to get out of the doorway. Therefore it sounds every time the door closes.

Elevator doors don’t usually have a chime. If elevator doors don’t need a chime then neither do LRT doors, when they are enabled and will re-open upon sensing an obstruction. It’s different when the driver has pressed the “close” button and the doors will not normally re-open. In the case I’m talking about nobody needs to get out of the doorway anyway.

The crucial point is that there are two kinds of “door closing”; one is just that the door happens to be closing, but will happily re-open, while the other is that the door is closing, isn’t supposed to re-open, and the vehicle will be moving as soon as the doors close. The chimes historically have been used only for the second of these, since subway trains and GO trains don’t have a “doors enabled” mode where passengers can request the door to open.

At a minimum the two modes should have two different chimes, with the “will re-open” chime being much gentler and quieter than the “definitely closing” one.
Does anyone know why the "STOP REQUESTED" buttons are active on the trains if it makes every stop?  Seems redundant.

Coke

BTW - I gave iON 5 stars.  Rode it on the very first ceremonial train, then did the whole route from Fairway to Conestoga, and back [With a jump off at Victoria Park station to run some errands, and when I returned another train was arriving -- That alone made me feel 5 star worthy!]
Enjoyed the nice air conditioned ride.  Still a few glitches in the announcement system.  I was heading from Conestoga to R&T and as we approached R&T it announced Northfield.
(07-05-2019, 02:53 PM)avernar Wrote: Enjoyed the nice air conditioned ride.  Still a few glitches in the announcement system.  I was heading from Conestoga to R&T and as we approached R&T it announced Northfield.

Now that I think about it, as we approached Frederick St heading northbound, it announced Queen Station.  Queen is a S/B only station.... at the time I thought it was done by proximity.... how does it actually work?

Coke
(07-05-2019, 01:43 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Does anyone know why the "STOP REQUESTED" buttons are active on the trains if it makes every stop?  Seems redundant.

The buttons were spec'd by Metrolinx, and so we got them by default. They were supposed to be removed before start of service, but other higher priority things took precedence. They'll be removed at some point.

(07-05-2019, 02:58 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(07-05-2019, 02:53 PM)avernar Wrote: Enjoyed the nice air conditioned ride.  Still a few glitches in the announcement system.  I was heading from Conestoga to R&T and as we approached R&T it announced Northfield.

Now that I think about it, as we approached Frederick St heading northbound, it announced Queen Station.  Queen is a S/B only station.... at the time I thought it was done by proximity.... how does it actually work?

It is GPS based, but the vehicles have the route programmed into them. It's one combined system that does the internal and external displays, announcements, etc. It appears to be a programming error as on approach to Frederick station the trains say Queen but display Frederick, all vehicles do it every time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »