Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto transit projects
It's interesting how they've decided to go with a "GO-like" fare. The prices themselves don't entirely match what GO would charge you for similar trips on their system (notably Weston-Pearson), so it's clearly still a separate fare structure. There is still effectively a "transfer penalty", despite the larger claims of "GO pricing".

Did they actually announce $12? I saw $19 in one article. I've read on other forums that they don't want to lower it too much since the capacity is relatively low, and they don't want it to get swamped with passengers using it to commute.
They did, and it was confirmed by the Metrolinx board today.

The $4.70 minimum fare is still a deterrent to regular commuting, which is as it should be.
(02-23-2016, 09:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They did, and it was confirmed by the Metrolinx board today.  

The $4.70 minimum fare is still a deterrent to regular commuting, which is as it should be.

That's an odd statement.

Is UPX only successful if it prevents people from using it regularly? If it is used as a regular commuting route (such that it ends up being too full for airport travellers, I guess that's the risk you're suggesting), does that run the risk of showing how such a specialized, low-capacity airport transit project was a political misstep in a city that is begging for more general use transit along the downtown/airport corridor?
(02-24-2016, 12:12 PM)zanate Wrote:
(02-23-2016, 09:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They did, and it was confirmed by the Metrolinx board today.  

That's an odd statement.

Is UPX only successful if it prevents people from using it regularly? If it is used as a regular commuting route (such that it ends up being too full for airport travellers, I guess that's the risk you're suggesting), does that run the risk of showing how such a specialized, low-capacity airport transit project was a political misstep in a city that is begging for more general use transit along the downtown/airport corridor?

As Canard said, it has very limited capacity.  If it's too full for people traveling to/from the airport, then it will also have failed in that mission, as people will not want to rely on being able to take it.

It really depends on the goal of UPX: if the goal is to provide commuter capacity along this line (I'm not saying that's a bad thing), they probably should be running three-car trains at the minimum, or higher frequencies (probably requiring more trains) during the peak hours.  But I believe it's targeted at providing airport access.
Consider that at rush hour, there's already relatively frequent (every ~20 minutes) GO Trains servicing Weston and Bloor. They are relatively lightly used, even today.
Outside of rush hour, there's little reason to believe the service would be swamped, even at GO prices.

There are two ways of working the prices:
1) Set prices high, and lower them after months and months of stagnant ridership and 10% occupancy.
2) Set prices low, and raise them when ridership grows to be too much for the line.

One of these moves people, the other moves empty trains.
Is the hypothetical airport traveling standee such a terrible consequence that we can't dare to set fares to be similar to existing train service?
Fair enough, but if the GO trains already lightly used, why do we need UPX for commuter service?

And in my experience with products (though I have never worked with public transit) it's always much easier to drop prices than to raise them, the latter is bound to produce a hue and cry from the customer base. So the tendency is to start on the high side as you can always drop prices later. (UPX did err in starting too high, though, to be sure.)

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but here's one of the TTC's new FLEXITY Outlook LFLRV's from Bombardier.

I was in Toronto yesterday, and happened to be able to stop off at Eglinton West station, which is currently right in the middle of the Crosstown construction. Just east of the station itself is the launch shaft for the tunneling machines that are slowly working toward Yonge Street.

Here is the work site itself - note those curved concrete segments, those are tunnel-wall segments that will be making their way through to the front of the machines.

[Image: tMBLyn1.png]

[Image: An911mL.png]

[Image: JbGsvtT.png]

I also was lucky enough to get very close to some tunnel segments as a delivery truck was turning just as I waited at the corner!

[Image: r8vCtfu.png]
As for the new streetcars (Flexity Outlook LFLRVs), here are some shots of those as well:

[Image: g9ANbgF.jpg]

[Image: cOAd0lB.png]

[Image: hYA8wQF.png]

[Image: UhpRJeo.png]
Last of all, we have become used to track construction around here - Toronto, well, they have REconstruction.

[Image: CeE9oAu.jpg]

[Image: qmxbmxU.jpg]
Great shots as usual, Kevin!
I guess this fits in this thread!

Toronto Zoo might get s new Monorail

Project Documents:

Official Proposal - Magnovate

Zoo Staff Report on Proposal

The City and Zoo will review the proposal on Thursday and report back in the summer.

TL;DR: A consortium of system partners (Stantec, Lockheed Martin, PCL and Magna) have offered to build a demonstration maglev line on top of the existing Bendix-Dashveyor AGT ("monorail") guideway at the Zoo. They would pay for it entirely so the zoo gets a free train. Stantec has already been on site to evaluate the guideway and have said its in excellent condition.

To me, this is a no brainer, even though it doesn't entirely align with the zoo's current master plan, which is ramping down operations in the Canadian Domain section of the park.

Halbach array! From fridge magnets to maglev, is there anything it can't do?
Fingers crossed there are no accidents with the construction of our system!

Eglinton scaffolding collapse injures 7, including baby: paramedics
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »