Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto transit projects
(02-17-2016, 08:50 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Cash fares are always more expensive, everywhere.  It's why I have an Oyster card for London and a Suica for Tokyo.  But even at today's fares (which are too high, I do agree with that) the cash fare is still substantially less than a taxi fare to downtown.  Taxifarefinder.com estimates the taxi fare at about $70, depending on traffic.

I also recently added a new rule to remember when dealing with transit in other cities. I was in Lyon, and I had a handful of Euro change on me, not needing much (my card works everywhere.)

Well, none of my cards worked with the station payment terminals for the Lyon tramway or airport LRT.

This matters when it's 6am and I'm trying to get to the airport. Turns out I had enough change for the tramway and then as I was panicking to get a ticket at the platform for the airport LRT that was about to leave, I was waived on board by a porter with a portable payment terminal who explained the station terminals just didn't work with les cartes étrangères.

So, new rule. Either have a system card (like Oyster) or have cash to cover all trips.

Also, really nice downtown to airport connection in Lyon! A lovely airport too, with good rail integration.

"All of this has happened before. It will all happen again"

How many years before this map or a slight variation is released as the new plan forward for Toronto transit after years of politically driven changes and dithering?
(02-17-2016, 01:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: This image has been making the rounds:

[Image: 2016216-transit-map.jpg]

It's all the current proposals, plus the DRL, plus pretty much the rest of Transit City. I believe it was made by Metrolinx.

I love that the map contains plans for Lines 1 and 2... and 4 and 5.

I guess Line 3 is a secret?
(02-17-2016, 02:01 PM)zanate Wrote: So, new rule. Either have a system card (like Oyster) or have cash to cover all trips.

This has happened to me too, which is why I have a travel wallet with approx $30 in each of six or so different currencies of the places I travel most often to.
(02-17-2016, 01:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: This image has been making the rounds:

[Image: 2016216-transit-map.jpg]

It's all the current proposals, plus the DRL, plus pretty much the rest of Transit City. I believe it was made by Metrolinx.

If all of those got to be built this would barely put Toronto back in track to where it ought to be in terms of public transit, given its size and population.
(02-17-2016, 05:26 PM)chutten Wrote: I guess Line 3 is a secret?

Line 3 is the Scarborough RT, which would be removed in this plan.
...which is why it's a stupid plan and I hate it.

I imagine the Line 3 designation will be reused for the Relief Line.
Line 3 will be the dedicated express connector line to Pearson Terminal 2.
So long as I get one of the rt vehicles in my backyard, I'm good.
Canard! I love your love for the Boro RT - I really wish they kept up with maintenance levels, that way it could be reused in some way shape or form.
That map looks a lot like Transit City.

The least political assessment of what should be done with the Scarborough RT (which was now over a decade and two mayors ago) was to upgrade it and buy new trains. Those were professionals who reached that conclusion, not politicians musing about extending the Bloor line for no good reason, or wanting to stir up the ire of suburbanites by claiming they’re getting poor service and promising them “subways.”

SRT should be extended, not scrapped. Why talk about tearing transit up when it’s evidently so difficult for them to get anything built?
I know. It's ridiculous - Toronto is like the only city on earth that would actually rip out a functioning transit line instead of maintaining it.

(Yeah, I know it's happened a few times - but very, very rarely.)

The worst part is that Vancouver has the same rolling stock and just did a big refurb on them, extending their life by another 20 years or so. Meanwhile, Toronto cries "oh it's falling apart and we can't get parts" just so they can pander to the masses who scream subway subway subway.

Even if the tunnel at Ellesmere DID have to get rebuilt to accommodate MK II ICTS (new trains), thats $190 million.

The new subway line is like 2 Billion.

So stupid and sad. Love the little futuristic rt.

UP express prices going down by more than 50% to $12, about a year after they were told by everyone and their dog that $27 per ride was too high.
(02-23-2016, 05:22 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: UP express prices going down by more than 50% to $12, about a year after they were told by everyone and their dog that $27 per ride was too high.

The new price is very reasonable indeed.  It's still priced as an airport access train, not a commuter one, but that is its primary function. I think there should be a very nice jump in the ridership as the word about the new, lower prices spreads.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »