Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The evolution of KW
(10-30-2016, 04:22 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: The town becomes a city; ca. 2010

There are various working definitions of a city, for example site of a dioceses in the UK or over 100K people elsewhere. Another common definition is a combination of population, services and density. In this case I'll use the last one. Three things are needed >100K population;  at least two full blown malls, commercial cinema, concert hall, sports arena, university, airport, sports team, and so on; and a high density area or district. This last one has just been achieved with the high rises in Northdale, likely to be followed within the next 10 years in DTK. High density areas offer a combination of jobs, housing and services within walking distance typical of a city.

In the case of Northdale, it remains pretty much one or one-an-a-half out of three, no?  Not, in itself, a generator of jobs in significant numbers and still fairly modest levels of services.

(10-30-2016, 07:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 04:22 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: The town becomes a city; ca. 2010

There are various working definitions of a city, for example site of a dioceses in the UK or over 100K people elsewhere. Another common definition is a combination of population, services and density. In this case I'll use the last one. Three things are needed >100K population;  at least two full blown malls, commercial cinema, concert hall, sports arena, university, airport, sports team, and so on; and a high density area or district. This last one has just been achieved with the high rises in Northdale, likely to be followed within the next 10 years in DTK. High density areas offer a combination of jobs, housing and services within walking distance typical of a city.

In the case of Northdale, it remains pretty much one or one-an-a-half out of three, no?  Not, in itself, a generator of jobs in significant numbers and still fairly modest levels of services.

I include the businesses and offices along Phillip, University and King on that stretch. You can work say, in the corner of Columbia and Phillip, live in Hemlock and hang around King and University.
My favourite quote about the Region was by former mayor Carl Zehr:

"...we're a big little city becoming a little big city."
(11-14-2016, 08:23 AM)Canard Wrote: My favourite quote about the Region was by former mayor Carl Zehr:

"...we're a big little city becoming a little big city."

RoW is poised to continue growing. It can sell itself as the alternative to the traffic and mayhem of Toronto, while being a short drive away, similar to Ann Arbor-Detroit in the late 80s/early 90s. It can also attract tech firms if immigration regulations toughen up in the USA with Trump.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »