Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edmonton LRT
Well, I guess that's the bed we chose to lie in, when we chose Light Rail over the other technology choices. If the trains have to play in traffic, this is the penalty we pay.

(01-08-2016, 08:25 PM)Drake Wrote: Does anyone have an opinion on the 47.5 minute trip time? I had hoped it would have been quicker.

What will rapid transit travel times be?
Approximately 46 minutes from Conestoga Mall to Fairview Park Mall for light rail transit and approximately 40 minutes from Fairview Park mall to Ainslie Street terminal with bus rapid transit.

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...ons.asp#dd
(01-08-2016, 08:25 PM)Drake Wrote: Does anyone have an opinion on the 47.5 minute trip time? I had hoped it would have been quicker.

But does it really matter so much?  I don't think it would be all that common itinerary.  I think the following three will get far more traffic:
  • Conestoga Mall to uptown
  • Uptown to downtown
  • Downtown to Fairview Mall

As long as the travel times for these are decent, I don't think we have a real problem.  If there is a lot of Conestoga-Fairview demand, GRT can use an express bus route along the Expressway to optimize for that.
It does matter, yeah - you can't pull people out of cars when you tell them a <15 minute drive is 40+ on public transport.
(01-10-2016, 10:06 AM)Canard Wrote: It does matter, yeah - you can't pull people out of cars when you tell them a <15 minute drive is 40+ on public transport.

But why should that particular route be the benchmark for comparing to cars?  How about comparing the uptown to downtown stretch instead?  Or downtown to the R&T park?

For a car person to start using ION from Conestoga to Fairview implies that this person will (1) drive to Conestoga Mall first, since no one actually lives there, and (2) go to Fairview Mall as the destination (instead of Conestoga Mall) for shopping or work.  How common is that going to be, really?

The only way to have speeds comparable to an expressway is to have an express route with very few stops (and traffic lights).  And that's not the intent of our LRT.  I really think the percentage of passengers on the train for the full distance between the two termini will be very small.
How about the popular Fairview to UW?
(01-10-2016, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 10:06 AM)Canard Wrote: It does matter, yeah - you can't pull people out of cars when you tell them a <15 minute drive is 40+ on public transport.

The only way to have speeds comparable to an expressway is to have an express route with very few stops (and traffic lights).  And that's not the intent of our LRT.  I really think the percentage of passengers on the train for the full distance between the two termini will be very small.

On the first day I think I and a large crowd of people from this forum will probably ride it the whole distance.

But after that, yes, I agree the purpose and effect is not to get people from one mall to the other, contrary to the assumptions of many Record commenters and letter writers.

Well, it would take about as long or longer to go from mall to mall and still make all the stops!

https://goo.gl/maps/rAPoaVGiuN52
Hahaha, nice work Smile
Wow, that elevated station looks incredible! I'm really sad our line won't have anything so extravagant. Sad

I like this line because it will be yet another customer in the queue for Bombardier of their FLEXITY Freedom.
That new cable-stayed bridge looks gorgeous. Great project!
(05-01-2016, 07:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: That new cable-stayed bridge looks gorgeous. Great project!

Hopefully they don't use the same bolts as the bridge in Nipigon did.
(05-01-2016, 08:31 PM)clasher Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 07:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: That new cable-stayed bridge looks gorgeous. Great project!

Hopefully they don't use the same bolts as the bridge in Nipigon did.

I heard they re-used those bolts in a less stressful place on the Nipigon Bridge  Tongue

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »