Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
321 Spruce Street | 35m | 7 fl | U/C
319 and 321 Spruce St.
Developer : First On Campus Development Ltd.

[Image: M0heepA.jpg]

December 22, 2015

Surprised they are using a crane for this project.

[Image: Ax1VZC6.jpg]

[Image: oiGFodw.jpg]
I wonder how much longer the wrdsb will hold onto WCI for - that plot of land must be worth a tonne of cash.
(12-22-2015, 03:57 PM)Watdot Wrote: December 22, 2015

Surprised they are using a crane for this project.

[Image: Ax1VZC6.jpg]

[Image: oiGFodw.jpg]

When I look at this picture, All I can think is that I am so happy I don't live in Waterloo and have to look at this mess on a day to day basis.  I know many people on this site think it is progress because Waterloo has grown up, however, these buildings are ugly. There is no way to sugar coat it.  If you want to see successful and attractive growth, go to Mississauga and look at their City Centre. And on that note, I know Kitchener isn't developing buildings as fast, however, everything I see going on in the downtown is much more pleasing and exciting.  Just MHO.
(12-22-2015, 11:05 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: When I look at this picture, All I can think is that I am so happy I don't live in Waterloo and have to look at this mess on a day to day basis.  I know many people on this site think it is progress because Waterloo has grown up, however, these buildings are ugly. There is no way to sugar coat it.  If you want to see successful and attractive growth, go to Mississauga and look at their City Centre. And on that note, I know Kitchener isn't developing buildings as fast, however, everything I see going on in the downtown is much more pleasing and exciting.  Just MHO.

You are not alone. I can't find much appeal in most of the developments in Northdale. The only good thing I can say is that for now most of them look better than run-down rental houses. Until they become run-down rental apartment buildings that is.
(12-22-2015, 11:32 PM)timc Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 11:05 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: When I look at this picture, All I can think is that I am so happy I don't live in Waterloo and have to look at this mess on a day to day basis.  I know many people on this site think it is progress because Waterloo has grown up, however, these buildings are ugly. There is no way to sugar coat it.  If you want to see successful and attractive growth, go to Mississauga and look at their City Centre. And on that note, I know Kitchener isn't developing buildings as fast, however, everything I see going on in the downtown is much more pleasing and exciting.  Just MHO.

You are not alone. I can't find much appeal in most of the developments in Northdale. The only good thing I can say is that for now most of them look better than run-down rental houses. Until they become run-down rental apartment buildings that is.

Keep in mind that what's going up in Northdale right now is generally rather different from what's in that picture. Those buildings were put up very quickly to take advantage of student demand and a looming reduction in permitted bedroom density. They're full of 5-bedroom student apartments, have wall-like facades, and are single-use.

The more recent buildings, like 222 Albert or Sage III, are IMHO pretty reasonable urban development. Albeit with much less parking and with quicker start-to-finish time than elsewhere in the region.
(12-22-2015, 11:32 PM)timc Wrote: Until they become run-down rental apartment buildings that is.

Is this a realistic fear? with so much competition now it seems to me that building owners will have to keep their properties in tip top shape. The only reason there were so many run down rental houses was the artificial shortage of student housing caused by city council zoning policies (minimum distance separation anyone?).

A lot of the buildings and the poor layout on the properties that were acquired are ugly, no dispute there. However, at night the lights create a pretty good skyline of a city from several blocks away.
And regarding Mississauga... yes there's some nice buildings there but their City Centre is stale as fack. It is not a community that I would model my city after.
(12-22-2015, 11:32 PM)timc Wrote:

I'd have to agree too.  I like Luxe II and maybe Sage I/II but that's about it along King which has been ruined IMO between Columbia and University.

Some better projects over near lester/albert but many bad ones too.
(12-23-2015, 12:16 AM)mpd618 Wrote: The more recent buildings, like 222 Albert or Sage III, are IMHO pretty reasonable urban development. Albeit with much less parking and with quicker start-to-finish time than elsewhere in the region.

I really love Sage III. It's perfect. It's not exactly pretty, but it's got everything that counts. Midrise, close to the schoool, and many small but visible retail units bringing services further in to Northdale. It's the kind of small scale development that can fill up quickly with small independent retailers, as opposed to Main St developments that sit vacant for years while they wait for a luxury chain.
(12-23-2015, 10:16 AM)Spokes Wrote: I like Luxe II and maybe Sage I/II but that's about it along King which has been ruined IMO between Columbia and University.

ruined sort of implies that it was nice to begin with, which it never was. It had these small houses abutting the main street in town. Completely out of proportion with the dimensions of the street or its purpose. Main street should be zoned mixed commercial for its entire length, with no setback. That is the exact opposite of what that part of King St. used to be.
(12-23-2015, 12:31 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: ruined sort of implies that it was nice to begin with, which it never was. It had these small houses abutting the main street in town. Completely out of proportion with the dimensions of the street or its purpose. Main street should be zoned mixed commercial for its entire length, with no setback. That is the exact opposite of what that part of King St. used to be.

Agreed.  What happened and is happening at King & Columbia, also a major intersection for the City, is just disgusting.  One Columbia is the disaster I speak of.  Terrible looking building, no interaction with the major streets or intersection.  Now they are adding surface parking facing King Street.  This may be the worst large development of recent years in Waterloo IMO.  We can only hope that Council and Developers get it right for the east side of King Street on this stretch.
(12-23-2015, 12:31 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(12-23-2015, 10:16 AM)Spokes Wrote: I like Luxe II and maybe Sage I/II but that's about it along King which has been ruined IMO between Columbia and University.

ruined sort of implies that it was nice to begin with, which it never was. It had these small houses abutting the main street in town. Completely out of proportion with the dimensions of the street or its purpose. Main street should be zoned mixed commercial for its entire length, with no setback. That is the exact opposite of what that part of King St. used to be.

Yes.  Rather than ruined, what it really is is a lost opportunity.

(12-22-2015, 03:55 PM)Watdot Wrote:
319 and 321 Spruce St.

The funny thing is that a building like this one will be completely underestimated just because it is in Northdale... but if this EXACT same thing had been proposed for a side street in uptown, downtown, or more so in midtown, people would be falling over their excitement to see it happening.
(12-25-2015, 01:02 PM)insider Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 03:55 PM)Watdot Wrote:
319 and 321 Spruce St.

The funny thing is that a building like this one will be completely underestimated just because it is in Northdale... but if this EXACT same thing had been proposed for a side street in uptown, downtown, or more so in midtown, people would be falling over their excitement to see it happening.

Merry Christmas.  You are right.  This building is actually nice however, it will be lost in all the other disappointing garbage.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »