Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(10-03-2017, 04:33 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I could see a row of towns or stacked towns going up along Borden very quickly - the demand would be strong, I suspect.  But you are right, Auburn seems not to be in a hurry with their projects.

I wonder if Auburn has the necessary Capitol to bring a project this size to fruition.  They made need a partner.

I have always understood that Auburn has VERY deep pockets.

(10-03-2017, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I could see a row of towns or stacked towns going up along Borden very quickly - the demand would be strong, I suspect.  But you are right, Auburn seems not to be in a hurry with their projects.

I don't think you'd want to rush with a row of (stacked) townhouses before sorting out the master plan for the entire development.  Yu might regret that later on.
(10-03-2017, 08:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

I don't think you'd want to rush with a row of (stacked) townhouses before sorting out the master plan for the entire development.  Yu might regret that later on.

Certainly, but, in my mind, I've always seen the Borden edge of the site as the place to put the lowest density (I hope) housing.  Just me waving my magic development wand (again!).  Smile
This evening's chuckle (or perhaps jaw-dropper) - the Record has a piece about the redevelopment of the site, with a woman living on Borden Ave saying she's concerned "whether it will increase or decrease the value of our home".

Because, you know, having a huge and fragrant meat-packing plant across the street was such a value enhancing feature ,,,,,
(10-04-2017, 10:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This evening's chuckle (or perhaps jaw-dropper) - the Record has a piece about the redevelopment of the site, with a woman living on Borden Ave saying she's concerned "whether it will increase or decrease the value of our home".

Because, you know, having a huge and fragrant meat-packing plant across the street was such a value enhancing feature ,,,,,

Yep....opposition will be quick and swift.

I am wondering if they'd partner with, say, Bingeman's as well to make maybe, say, a hotel and conference centre? And by that, I mean one that can hold large events.

As others have mentioned, this will take time to get moving. But I image once it's starts up, it will be impressive.
I wouldn't expect to see this started for at least 5 years, maybe longer, and then another 10 to build it out (I think Barrelyards is at eight and counting, and is at least 5 years from being done).

I think this quote from Allan Drewlo talking about Drewlo's philosophy seems to fit what I have seen of Auburn's work:
""Every year there's more and more policies being piled on,...The cities are requiring that we build a Porsche building every time, so there's no Ford buildings being built anymore. Affordability and choice suffers."

Maybe they can borrow some ideas from this student project:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/businessinkit...illage.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHopI19fYNs
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Rendering of the proposed on the LFP article:

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/04/auburn...evelopment

The render in the LFP article is of Barrel Yards, not the Schneider's site.
(10-05-2017, 09:46 AM)Owen Wrote: Rendering of the proposed on the LFP article:

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/04/auburn...evelopment

This is just a rendering of the Barrelyards in Waterloo. I think we might be a little ways off from seeing any renders yet.
(10-05-2017, 09:48 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The render in the LFP article is of Barrel Yards, not the Schneider's site.

thought that was a typo... but looking more closely you're right!
There has been talk of a Canadian Premier League club coming to KW. This site would be fantastic for a modular stadium which is something a lot of CanPL clubs are doing. These modular stadiums can often be used for a variety of sporting events or outdoor events.

One example is Halifax. They figured they could get their modular stadium up in about half a year. It would be a great segue application for the property and be a destination. It's right on the LRT line and close to TWB so that checks my boxes.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/08/14/unde...on-soccer/
(10-05-2017, 10:59 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: There has been talk of a Canadian Premier League club coming to KW. This site would be fantastic for a modular stadium which is something a lot of CanPL clubs are doing. These modular stadiums can often be used for a variety of sporting events or outdoor events.

One example is Halifax. They figured they could get their modular stadium up in about half a year. It would be a great segue application for the property and be a destination. It's right on the LRT line and close to TWB so that checks my boxes.

There was talk about this earlier this year, but it seems to have gone quiet.  What would they need to make a go of it in Kitchener, about 5,000 seats?
(10-05-2017, 11:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 10:59 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: There has been talk of a Canadian Premier League club coming to KW. This site would be fantastic for a modular stadium which is something a lot of CanPL clubs are doing. These modular stadiums can often be used for a variety of sporting events or outdoor events.

There was talk about this earlier this year, but it seems to have gone quiet.  What would they need to make a go of it in Kitchener, about 5,000 seats?

That's the expected need. They were hoping for a 2018 launch, but it sounds like it has moved to 2019. More pieces needed to come together. Hamilton and Winnipeg have been announced and I believe that Calgary and Halifax should be announced in the next couple of months. Edmonton and Ottawa to join as well.

Saskatoon and Kitchener sound like the next best applicant.

I think Conestoga College would be a better place to put up a soccer stadium. This much land close to the centre of town would be squandered on a sports field or even a conference centre. IMO they don't see that much use beyond the event days and are generally just a sea of parking around a single-use building. Here's a US-centric aritcle the subject
(10-05-2017, 12:29 PM)clasher Wrote: I think Conestoga College would be a better place to put up a soccer stadium. This much land close to the centre of town would be squandered on a sports field or even a conference centre. IMO they don't see that much use beyond the event days and are generally just a sea of parking around a single-use building. Here's a US-centric aritcle the subject

Any reason not to put behind the Aud?  I know precisely nothing about soccer ....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »