Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(02-02-2018, 10:48 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What a shame.

Do you think it has significant architectural value? It doesn't... it has history, but in its current condition it has no architectural value.

(02-02-2018, 11:05 AM)urbd Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 10:48 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What a shame.

Do you think it has significant architectural value? It doesn't... it has history, but in its current condition it has no architectural value.

Architectural?  Probably not.  Historical/industrial heritage?  I can think of no more important site in Kitchener.  To save nothing of, for example, the bit fronting Courtland that dates (I think) back to the 1920s seems to me to be a needless loss of local historical memory.  It is what it is, but I regret it.

That said, I like the idea of the park stretching the full depth of the site- seems like it will follow the course of Shoemaker Creek, which I hope will be uncovered.
(02-02-2018, 11:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 11:05 AM)urbd Wrote: Do you think it has significant architectural value? It doesn't... it has history, but in its current condition it has no architectural value.

Architectural?  Probably not.  Historical/industrial heritage?  I can think of no more important site in Kitchener.  To save nothing of, for example, the bit fronting Courtland that dates (I think) back to the 1920s seems to me to be a needless loss of local historical memory.  It is what it is, but I regret it.

That said, I like the idea of the park stretching the full depth of the site- seems like it will follow the course of Shoemaker Creek, which I hope will be uncovered.

They are keeping I think 3 buildings, including one of the older red brick ones.
(02-02-2018, 11:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 11:05 AM)urbd Wrote: Do you think it has significant architectural value? It doesn't... it has history, but in its current condition it has no architectural value.

Apparently the factory buildings are in very poor structural condition so it really wasn't feasibly to keep them (and convert them to lofts or offices).  Keeping the façade only ... well, the façade isn't that special, so I quite understand the decision here.
This image shows what might remain of the existing buildings, plus the streets and greenspace that Auburn is planning.  From
https://www.schneiderredevelopment.com/ (and originally from the PARTS study).

I was too quick off the mark in my first post today - the buildings that are being saved are those I had in mind. There is more of the site dedicated to employment than I had imagined, which seems great. I like that the new park will be connected under the train tracks to Borden Parkway and the Shoemaker Greenway.
CBC has an image of what is being demolished:
[Image: schneiders-development-demolition.JPG]

Saving the more "modern" buildings seems strange when the current in thing is brick and beam.

Random useless fact: there is a miniature replica of the grey brutalist-ish building in the Children's Safety Village on Maple Grove (it is actually pretty eerie how similar the safety village is to our actual community - right down to the single unprotected bike lane to nowhere).

Apparently Auburn is having a naming contest for the development in March.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(02-02-2018, 10:10 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: CBC has an image of what is being demolished:
[Image: schneiders-development-demolition.JPG]

Saving the more "modern" buildings seems strange when the current in thing is brick and beam.

Random useless fact: there is a miniature replica of the grey brutalist-ish building in the Children's Safety Village on Maple Grove (it is actually pretty eerie how similar the safety village is to our actual community - right down to the single unprotected bike lane to nowhere).

I wonder if saving the warehouse didn't become more attractive when the owners saw Catalyst 137?  What bicycle path to nowhere are you referring to?
The safety village lane:

Reminded me of the Park St lane:

(02-03-2018, 12:37 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The safety village lane:

Is that an actual bicycle lane, or is it like the looks-like-a-bicycle-lane-but-really-is-just-extra-space-paved-for-no-apparent-reason on King St. that runs part of the way between Union and Allen?
(02-03-2018, 01:02 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 12:37 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The safety village lane:

Is that an actual bicycle lane, or is it like the looks-like-a-bicycle-lane-but-really-is-just-extra-space-paved-for-no-apparent-reason on King St. that runs part of the way between Union and Allen?

Actual lane:

Enough digressions though and back to re-development talk.
(02-03-2018, 02:10 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 01:02 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Is that an actual bicycle lane, or is it like the looks-like-a-bicycle-lane-but-really-is-just-extra-space-paved-for-no-apparent-reason on King St. that runs part of the way between Union and Allen?

Actual lane:

Enough digressions though and back to re-development talk.

Thanks, that’s pretty definitive! Smile

Although it’s not very wide. I hope the Schneider redevelopment has excellent pedestrian and cycling facilities throughout. Actually it’s big enough and I understand they’re planning a number of interior streets so it would be a great opportunity to prioritize active transportation, only accommodating motor vehicles subject to the safety requirements of other road users. We could potentially have an entire neighbourhood designed quite differently from the rest of the city which could act as an example.
There are a few things outside of Auburn's capabilities, but that would improve the development and overall neighbourhood a lot.

First, it would be nice if Kent was extended to Heiman somehow. It would offer a nicer alternative to Ottawa for crossing the tracks for people in the neighbourhood immediately west of the site, and the development will be offering quite a few retail amenities that would be benefit from the access.

Second, it would be nice if the City of Kitchener took this opportunity to fully develop a few greenways. Properly connecting the Shoemaker Creek Greenway between Meinziger Park and the IHT with a MUT would be an important link, which the development would open up, in part. A second link from the IHT up at Madison down to this development would also be nice. I'm pretty sure that a trail could fit under the Stirling Bridge next to the tracks.

(02-03-2018, 08:07 AM)jamincan Wrote: There are a few things outside of Auburn's capabilities, but that would improve the development and overall neighbourhood a lot.

First, it would be nice if Kent was extended to Heiman somehow. It would offer a nicer alternative to Ottawa for crossing the tracks for people in the neighbourhood immediately west of the site, and the development will be offering quite a few retail amenities that would be benefit from the access.

Second, it would be nice if the City of Kitchener took this opportunity to fully develop a few greenways. Properly connecting the Shoemaker Creek Greenway between Meinziger Park and the IHT with a MUT would be an important link, which the development would open up, in part. A second link from the IHT up at Madison down to this development would also be nice. I'm pretty sure that a trail could fit under the Stirling Bridge next to the tracks.

It would take a bit of expropriation to fit both greenway and a road into the gap, along with the cost of an underpass under the railway, but it could be done.  The downside, I suppose, could be a big increase in traffic on Heiman and Pattandon.  I think if it were me, I'd be satisfied if the pedestrian access were restored.
Not sure an underpass would be completely necessary - the rail line is relatively quiet, a level crossing would not be inconvenient.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »