Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(06-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Doesn't the LRT touch the entrance to this development, if not basically run along a portion of it? I may be mis-recalling.

The LRT does run past it down Borden but there isn't currently a stop until it gets to the other side of Ottawa St.

(06-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Doesn't the LRT touch the entrance to this development, if not basically run along a portion of it? I may be mis-recalling.

The line runs in one direction along Borden, on the “east” side of the site.  Mill Station is about two blocks from the “south-east” corner of the site.
The site is very quiet these days, waiting to move up the Auburn project priority list. Some of the gates not closed so I took an opportunity of the morning light to document how things look.

The site plan.

The product distribution warehouse next to Borden Ave, with LRT tracks.

The former truck entrance from Borden Ave.

The distribution (order fill!) warehouse truck bays.

Nature is slowly taking over.

As I recall, this was the path to cross Schneider Shoemakers Creek into the employee parking lot (now developed into a townhome complex).

The distribution warehouse, again.

Yes, we still have rubble.

Piles and piles of rubble -- with the developing DTK skyline in the background.

Even rubble with graffiti.

Was the office building really worth saving? It may be structurally sound but it only has windows on two sides.

And the two sides that are finished, are not the most beautiful example of brutalism, either.

Or in great condition.

The sun no longer shines here.

This building, whose purpose I have completely forgotten, is the most interesting one remaining.

Just to note that the old path was parallel to Shoemakers Creek (not Schneider’s Creek), rather than across it.

It would be great if part of the site could be sold to a developer that could get on with it, but that’s not going to happen.
There was a crossing, too, though.

The site was for sale for quite a while and there were no other takers ... not many developers want to tackle this big an area.

(07-25-2020, 05:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There was a crossing, too, though.

The site was for sale for quite a while and there were no other takers ... not many developers want to tackle this big an area.
I couldn’t swear to it, but I thought that Shoemaker Creek was covered between Courtland and the train tracks.  The only crossing I remember would have been at Mill St.  I was an ocasional user of the path under the tracks back in the day.  Perhaps there was a crossing on the Schneider’s property that I’ve forgotten about?
The red building was a garage.
There doesn't seem to have been any public updates to this project since the public meeting last year. Proposed Subdivision, Official Plan & Zoning By-law Amendments – Auburn Development (Schneiders Redevelopment)
(07-25-2020, 05:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 05:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There was a crossing, too, though.

I couldn’t swear to it, but I thought that Shoemaker Creek was covered between Courtland and the train tracks.  The only crossing I remember would have been at Mill St.  I was an ocasional user of the path under the tracks back in the day.  Perhaps there was a crossing on the Schneider’s property that I’ve forgotten about?

I honestly can't remember the details any more. But I do remember parking in the employee lot (entrance from Mill St) and crossing over to the Schneiders property proper.
(07-25-2020, 06:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 05:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I couldn’t swear to it, but I thought that Shoemaker Creek was covered between Courtland and the train tracks.  The only crossing I remember would have been at Mill St.  I was an ocasional user of the path under the tracks back in the day.  Perhaps there was a crossing on the Schneider’s property that I’ve forgotten about?

I honestly can't remember the details any more. But I do remember parking in the employee lot (entrance from Mill St) and crossing over to the Schneiders property proper.
For sure - afaik, the culvert under the tracks is still there, although probably filled in.
Olde Fashioned Way is a terrible name for a street.

Agreed
I would love to do some urban exploration inside this thing before it all comes down, but I bet they have 247 security there. Going in the old office tower would be interesting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »