Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
This is what Wikipedia says of Vietnamese religions:

From the census:
  • Vietnamese folk religion, 34.7%
  • Buddhism (mainly Mahayana), 57.5%
  • Christianity, 6.2%
  • Hòa Hảo, 1.5%
  • Cao Đài, 1.1%
From a Pew Research Center survey:
  • Vietnamese folk religion, 45.3%
  • Unaffiliated, 29.6%
  • Buddhism, 16.4%
  • Christianity, 8.2%
  • Other, 0.5%

(03-30-2020, 09:19 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 08:47 PM)plam Wrote: You mean the Cao Dai temple at 259 Courtland? Cao Dai is an... interesting... Vietnamese sect and definitely not Buddhist. Check out their beliefs.
I looked at their website but it was in Vietnamese. I thought that Vietnamese were mainly Buddhist. I am not familiar with other sects.

My parents certainly never told me about this religion. They were more exposed to Buddhist and Catholic people when they grew up in Vietnam. There is a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caodaism

(Also, religions aren't exclusive in Asia; people can believe in more than one.)
(03-30-2020, 10:11 PM)plam Wrote: (Also, religions aren't exclusive in Asia; people can believe in more than one.)

Quite correct. Many (most?) Japanese, for example, practise both Buddhism and Shintoism.

That said, many Asian religions are less rigid and prescriptive than Christianity, Judaism and Islam, for example, allowing them to easily coexist. And "religiousness" is very different in Asia than it is in, say, the US.
Living in this area, I look forward to the development of this site.  However, traffic is going to be a nightmare on this stretch of Courtland when this is fully developed (and before that too).  I keep hoping that there will be a proposal to somehow push Kent or Palmer or Borden through to Mill so that the traffic load gets shared a little bit, not that Mill is really designed for a massive increase in traffic either. Might involve a fair bit of expropriation too.
Thanks for the insight as a neighbor. It is nice to see someone supportive... koodoos to you..
(03-31-2020, 07:48 AM)GarthDanlor Wrote: Living in this area, I look forward to the development of this site.  However, traffic is going to be a nightmare on this stretch of Courtland when this is fully developed (and before that too).  I keep hoping that there will be a proposal to somehow push Kent or Palmer or Borden through to Mill so that the traffic load gets shared a little bit, not that Mill is really designed for a massive increase in traffic either. Might involve a fair bit of expropriation too.

At the moment, I'm not sure there's even a pedestrian path planned between the site and Mill St, is there?  To me a path along Shoemaker Creek would seem a no brainer.
(03-31-2020, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 07:48 AM)GarthDanlor Wrote: Living in this area, I look forward to the development of this site.  However, traffic is going to be a nightmare on this stretch of Courtland when this is fully developed (and before that too).  I keep hoping that there will be a proposal to somehow push Kent or Palmer or Borden through to Mill so that the traffic load gets shared a little bit, not that Mill is really designed for a massive increase in traffic either. Might involve a fair bit of expropriation too.

At the moment, I'm not sure there's even a pedestrian path planned between the site and Mill St, is there?  To me a path along Shoemaker Creek would seem a no brainer.

There used to be a pedestrian underpass from the Schneiders property to the employee parking lot on Mill St (which has now been developed into a townhouse complex). I don't know whether the underpass still exists, though.

(03-31-2020, 11:06 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote: At the moment, I'm not sure there's even a pedestrian path planned between the site and Mill St, is there?  To me a path along Shoemaker Creek would seem a no brainer.

There used to be a pedestrian underpass from the Schneiders property to the employee parking lot on Mill St (which has now been developed into a townhouse complex). I don't know whether the underpass still exists, though.

As far as I know, it does still exist, but it's on the wrong side of the creek (istm) for a pedestrian underpass.
(03-31-2020, 11:11 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 11:06 AM)tomh009 Wrote: There used to be a pedestrian underpass from the Schneiders property to the employee parking lot on Mill St (which has now been developed into a townhouse complex). I don't know whether the underpass still exists, though.

As far as I know, it does still exist, but it's on the wrong side of the creek (istm) for a pedestrian underpass.

The creek should be much easier to deal with than the railway. A small pedestrian bridge would not be expensive. Not clear exactly where the creek runs relative to their subdivision plan, though.
(03-31-2020, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

Indeed! There's even a perfect spot on the Mill side for it - this driveway is NOT owned by the repair shop. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4351536,-...312!8i6656
(03-31-2020, 12:04 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote: At the moment, I'm not sure there's even a pedestrian path planned between the site and Mill St, is there?  To me a path along Shoemaker Creek would seem a no brainer.

Indeed! There's even a perfect spot on the Mill side for it - this driveway is NOT owned by the repair shop. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4351536,-...312!8i6656
 You know, I can't recall when that "driveway" went in.  We used to play in the open field back there when we were kids - there was a good hill for tobagganing as well, but that was long ago levelled out.  It's always been a strange derelict patch of land.
(03-31-2020, 12:04 PM)KevinL Wrote:

Knowing that I really feel like that driveway should be used to connect Borden Pkwy to Kent Ave through the middle of the site. Neither is a major enough road to cause significant traffic, but would generate just enough that the street through the development could be developed in a Belmont Village sort of way. Towers/midrises along the central street, with retail facing it, wide sidewalks, and parallel parking.

I think the current plan suffers from having basically no connectivity through the site, which means retail uses will never be viable (or at least, never booming).
(03-31-2020, 07:57 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Thanks for the  insight as a neighbor.  It is nice to see someone supportive... koodoos to you..
Between this development and the LRT (I'm less than a  10 minutes walk from 3 stations) and all the development coming from those, I think our area has won the lottery. Not to mention the upgraded iron horse and 2 micro breweries..

(03-31-2020, 05:24 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 12:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: Indeed! There's even a perfect spot on the Mill side for it - this driveway is NOT owned by the repair shop. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4351536,-...312!8i6656

Knowing that I really feel like that driveway should be used to connect Borden Pkwy to Kent Ave through the middle of the site. Neither is a major enough road to cause significant traffic, but would generate just enough that the street through the development could be developed in a Belmont Village sort of way. Towers/midrises along the central street, with retail facing it, wide sidewalks, and parallel parking.

I think the current plan suffers from having basically no connectivity through the site, which means retail uses will never be viable (or at least, never booming).
Yes this is one route that I was thinking about. The others (like connecting Palmer) would be a little more destructive.
Doesn't the LRT touch the entrance to this development, if not basically run along a portion of it? I may be mis-recalling.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »