Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(07-27-2019, 10:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In a way, I'm disappointed that the site doesn't include the remainder 0f Courtland up to Stirling and along Striling back to the tracks, but I guess this could give other developers a chance to build in the vicinity, which could offset some of the sameness in style that this proposal threatens.
There are 10 houses on Palmer and Courtland and an industrial building at Stirling with several auto related businesses in it. I don't think that those will go away any time soon.

(07-27-2019, 02:47 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 10:56 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In a way, I'm disappointed that the site doesn't include the remainder 0f Courtland up to Stirling and along Striling back to the tracks, but I guess this could give other developers a chance to build in the vicinity, which could offset some of the sameness in style that this proposal threatens.
There are 10 houses on Palmer and Courtland and an industrial building at Stirling with several auto related businesses in it. I don't think that those will go away any time soon.

Yes, it's unfortunate.
It's good that a multi use trail is being incorporated but what is with the jog in the route near Stirling?

In those documents I didn't see anything about revitalizing Schneider creek /reexposing. I would have thought the park would have the creek running through but they are in different areas of the parcel.
At the meeting, they said that Shoemaker Creek that passes under the property can't be uncovered because the three buildings being kept are more or less built on top of it. I don't know if they can uncover the part that goes through the public park. One of the renderings in the developer presentation shows a water feature. In any event, these are preliminary proposals, not final plans. Everything must be approved by City Council.
I was walking down Courtland by the Schneider's property and noticed that they had put up signs that I hadn't seen before.    
Such a shame that they haven't acquired the remaining properties bounded by Palmer/Courtland/Stirling.
(03-29-2020, 08:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Such a shame that they haven't acquired the remaining properties bounded by Palmer/Courtland/Stirling.
I think that they have enough to work with as it is. It is going to take up to 10 years to develop what they have.

There's still no detailed site plan, correct?
(03-30-2020, 06:16 AM)Spokes Wrote: There's still no detailed site plan, correct?
There doesn't seem to be anything more than was provided in the public meeting last summer.
(03-29-2020, 11:10 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 08:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Such a shame that they haven't acquired the remaining properties bounded by Palmer/Courtland/Stirling.

I think that they have enough to work with as it is. It is going to take up to 10 years to develop what they have.

And if they stage the construction right, they'll have 5+ years to acquire some of those properties yet and integrate them into the plan.
(03-30-2020, 10:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 11:10 PM)Acitta Wrote: I think that they have enough to work with as it is. It is going to take up to 10 years to develop what they have.

And if they stage the construction right, they'll have 5+ years to acquire some of those properties yet and integrate them into the plan.
There are 9 residential properties, a Buddhist temple and a building with several presumably thriving automotive businesses there. It seems unlikely that all of those owners will want to sell in any time frame that would be useful for the purposes of the current development. It is already a very large development. Managing it will already be a big job without complicating it by trying to acquire properties from unwilling owners, and then persuading the city to allow them to demolish all of those buildings. Maybe 20 years down the road, some of the property owners may decide that they don't want to live next the dense development and want to sell, but I don't see that it would happen anytime soon.
(03-30-2020, 11:54 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 10:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote: And if they stage the construction right, they'll have 5+ years to acquire some of those properties yet and integrate them into the plan.
There are 9 residential properties, a Buddhist temple and a building with several presumably thriving automotive businesses there. It seems unlikely that all of those owners will want to sell in any time frame that would be useful for the purposes of the current development. It is already a very large development. Managing it will already be a big job without complicating it by trying to acquire properties from unwilling owners, and then persuading the city to allow them to demolish all of those buildings. Maybe 20 years down the road, some of the property owners may decide that they don't want to live next the dense development and want to sell, but I don't see that it would happen anytime soon.

Oh, I do agree that they don't need it. And I don't expect that they will push hard to persuade the owners to sell.

But, opportunistically, if some of those properties do come on the market, they may decide to pick them up. Especially the ones between Vernon and Stirling.
It's obviously not necessary, it would just be nice. The area in question is pretty ramshackle.

(03-30-2020, 11:54 AM)Acitta Wrote: There are 9 residential properties, a Buddhist temple and a building with several presumably thriving automotive businesses there.

You mean the Cao Dai temple at 259 Courtland? Cao Dai is an... interesting... Vietnamese sect and definitely not Buddhist. Check out their beliefs.
(03-30-2020, 08:47 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:54 AM)Acitta Wrote: There are 9 residential properties, a Buddhist temple and a building with several presumably thriving automotive businesses there.

You mean the Cao Dai temple at 259 Courtland? Cao Dai is an... interesting... Vietnamese sect and definitely not Buddhist. Check out their beliefs.
I looked at their website but it was in Vietnamese. I thought that Vietnamese were mainly Buddhist. I am not familiar with other sects.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »