Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(05-26-2019, 10:00 PM)jeffster Wrote: Two different people; the first comment was made by Karen Taylor-Harrison, a former councillor and the last comment was made by Joanne DeSouza, the current Facilitator at Mill-Courtland Community Centre.

Any no matter where you go, you'll always have NIMBY's, is the rite of passage in Kitchener.

It would be interesting to know what the people interviewed, especially the first one, actually said, in context. Calling new construction “scary” is weird, especially when the land in question will be going from providing living space for 0 people to providing living space for many more than 0 people. But at the same time, I don’t feel like I understand the person’s perspective from the couple of sentences quoted in the article, so they may well have some legitimate concerns.

(05-26-2019, 10:00 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's honestly not so bad.  But the author is either taking this person severely out of context, or this person has more or less contradicted themselves.

At the beginning, the quote: "It's a scary idea."

At the end: "We're trying to stay positive."

Two different people; the first comment was made by Karen Taylor-Harrison, a former councillor and the last comment was made by Joanne DeSouza, the current Facilitator at Mill-Courtland Community Centre.

Any no matter where you go, you'll always have NIMBY's, is the rite of passage in Kitchener.

Whoa.  Totally misread that.  Thanks for correcting.
As someone who once lived at Courtland/Stirling, I can't understand why neighbours would NIMBY this development.

I'd love to see their reactions if we were tearing down a huge residential development to build a slaughterhouse... Traffic/Shadow problems beat being downwind any day....

Coke
It would be nice if everything on Courtland from the Schneiders site down to Stirling could be incorporated into the redevelopment lands.
I live in the area and I for one am eagerly awaiting the Schneider's re-development, as are my nearest neighbours.  Combine the re-development of the Schneiders building along with the future redevelopment of the parking lots and other industrial buildings on the other side of Courtland and then add in the the short walk to downtown, two nearby LRT stations, two breweries, adjacency to the Iron Horse Trail, Victoria Park, etc. and it becomes a real up and coming area.  Can't wait for it all to play out.

Biggest problem is Courtland itself.   It's already very busy at peak times and no real room for expansion.  Going to be really bad with the addition of all the new businesses and residences.  Maybe they will push Palmer or Borden through to Mill to ease some of the burden?
Hopefully Transit, biking and walking become a priority which will relieve congestion. Likely many people will be one car families.

I like your positive attitude and your ability to look forward to what can happen. Thats great. I agree that it will be a new up and coming area.
(05-28-2019, 08:29 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: As someone who once lived at Courtland/Stirling, I can't understand why neighbours would NIMBY this development.

I'd love to see their reactions if we were tearing down a huge residential development to build a slaughterhouse... Traffic/Shadow problems beat being downwind any day....

Coke

I went to one of the first information sessions organized by the developer and consultants, and I could see that 90% of the people were happy, excited about the development going forward, but with NIMBYs, even if they are a small minority they are always louder and negativity is more easily noticed.

(05-28-2019, 04:37 PM)urbd Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 08:29 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: As someone who once lived at Courtland/Stirling, I can't understand why neighbours would NIMBY this development.

Coke

I went to one of the first information sessions organized by the developer and consultants, and I could see that 90% of the people were happy, excited about the development going forward, but with NIMBYs, even if they are a small minority they are always louder and negativity is more easily noticed.

Fake news....lol
(05-28-2019, 02:45 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote: I live in the area and I for one am eagerly awaiting the Schneider's re-development, as are my nearest neighbours.  Combine the re-development of the Schneiders building along with the future redevelopment of the parking lots and other industrial buildings on the other side of Courtland and then add in the the short walk to downtown, two nearby LRT stations, two breweries, adjacency to the Iron Horse Trail, Victoria Park, etc. and it becomes a real up and coming area.  Can't wait for it all to play out.

Biggest problem is Courtland itself.   It's already very busy at peak times and no real room for expansion.  Going to be really bad with the addition of all the new businesses and residences.  Maybe they will push Palmer or Borden through to Mill to ease some of the burden?

The idea has been out there for sixty years.  I doubt it will ever happen, unfortunately.  I'm not even sure that the pedestrian pathway under the tracks will be reopened (will the Schneider lands be within the Queen Elizabeth PS catchment area, I wonder?)
Quote:Maybe they will push Palmer or Borden through to Mill to ease some of the burden?

Borden is unlikely, but Palmer or Kent is a good possibility. This would require a re-work of the circulation in the Mill/Stirling industrial district, but given that's a bit of a mess right now anyway, maybe it's worth it.
Got this in my e-mail today, guess I didn't win? Thank you for your submission to the My Name Is... naming contest hosted by Auburn Developments! With over 4600 submissions, it was hard to narrow it down to just one, and we greatly appreciate your creative contribution and passion in ushering in this new era for the Schneiders landmark.

We're so excited to extend to you an invitation to attend The Unveiling: a community event hosted by Auburn Developments to conclude the My Name Is... contest. The event will be held tomorrow, June 15th, at 321 Courtland Ave E, from 1:00pm-3:00pm.

The celebration will include a community BBQ, family-fun games, and a presentation of cheques to the winning contestants by Mayor Vrbanovic.
(06-14-2019, 09:16 PM)Square Wrote: Got this in my e-mail today, guess I didn't win?    Thank you for your submission to the My Name Is... naming contest hosted by Auburn Developments! With over 4600 submissions, it was hard to narrow it down to just one, and we greatly appreciate your creative contribution and passion in ushering in this new era for the Schneiders landmark.

We're so excited to extend to you an invitation to attend The Unveiling: a community event hosted by Auburn Developments to conclude the My Name Is...  contest. The event will be held tomorrow, June 15th, at 321 Courtland Ave E, from 1:00pm-3:00pm.

The celebration will include a community BBQ, family-fun games, and a presentation of cheques to the winning contestants by Mayor Vrbanovic.

They didn't like my "Maple Leaf Mews" submission -- thought it was very Canadian, yet very ironic (Maple Leaf is very Canadian, Maple Leaf brand destroyed that employment land).
The Metz will be the name. From the article "Metz was the middle name of John (J.M.) Schneider, who founded Schneiders in 1886."

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...tz-1508471

Short and memorable, but also reflecting its origins. Excellent choice.
"The Metz" is good, yes. "Olde Fashioned Way" makes me cringe, though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »