Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
Has much (any) information been received about what the commercial/retail elements of this project are likely to look like/consist of?

(06-27-2023, 05:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has much (any) information been received about what the commercial/retail elements of this project are likely to look like/consist of?
Construction phasing starts with the residential building on block 2. The existing commercial buildings will be developed next. Presentation of the construction phasing starts at 36:00 on the video of the Planning Committee meeting on the 19th. I don't think that they have anything firm until they actually start designing those buildings. The presentations in that regard seem more blue-sky than actually fleshed-out.
Things have started to happen on the site. There is a construction trailer parked next to the office building. They are excavating trenches along Courtland and Palmer and dumping the dirt at the back of the site. There is an excavator, two dump trucks and a bulldozer working. There is some other equipment near the Borden St. entrance.
Glad to hear that something is happening again. The office building looks like something out of a war zone with all its windows broken, the boarded up doors smashed back open and now blocked off with giant concrete blocks. I'm somewhat surprised that it hasn't gone on fire.
It doesn't look like they have any permits yet, but a shoring permit is in the application stage for the 3 midrise buildings along Courtland. There is no permit application for foundation or balance of construction yet so this might just be prep work.
Hey if they're even just moving dirt, that's good news. This project is huge and while it isn't great and will probably take 15 years minimum, it'll certainly be a big change.

This entire area (talking about the entire area between Borden and Mill Stations; the low density old industrial buildings etc) has so much potential to be one of the densest parts of the region and with good planning, could become a really desirable area. While unfortunately they completely screwed up the LRT in this area by having 4 almost 90 degree turns that take forever to traverse, there are still at least good roads and the Iron Horse Trail cuts through it. There is so much space that can be transformed into a desirable urban area here, though I kind of doubt our ability to utilize it correctly. A huge problem with transit oriented development is how immediate it gentrifies an area, which is usually almost 99.9% bad. If the local community and council worked together to maintain a vision, well, maybe this big chunk of land will be nice. I mean...you could easily fit a good sports stadium in this area, allowing GRH to build a hospital at the former Aud location. :'P Though if we just let developers and big business move in, the area will be completely sterile of actual life. The goal should be to organically develop something like Kensington Market in Toronto, rather than end up with some sort of generic Tridel Condo complex.

As a reminder, here's what the City of Kitchener pictured just a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of this area to eventually look like, specifically near Schneider Creek:

[Image: 1D4ek3g.jpeg]

Hopefully we can pull this off. It'll take a long time but the Rockway PARTS plan had so many good ideas. Now all we need are ambitious developers who are ready to start now... And good planning from council.

They are digging up a lot of concrete that was missed during the original demolition.     
(02-08-2024, 07:06 PM)Acitta Wrote: They are digging up a lot of concrete that was missed during the original demolition. 

I suspect they intentionally left that concrete wall so as to act as a retaining wall until construction starts. But that's just speculation! Smile
(02-08-2024, 09:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 07:06 PM)Acitta Wrote: They are digging up a lot of concrete that was missed during the original demolition. 

I suspect they intentionally left that concrete wall so as to act as a retaining wall until construction starts. But that's just speculation! Smile

I think you are right.  I can't find it now, but one of the news links said they were going to reuse the concrete basement.
(02-09-2024, 12:02 AM)Square Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 09:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I suspect they intentionally left that concrete wall so as to act as a retaining wall until construction starts. But that's just speculation! Smile

I think you are right.  I can't find it now, but one of the news links said they were going to reuse the concrete basement.

There is no basement left. It was demolished completely, except for some bits along Courtland.
(02-09-2024, 01:36 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 12:02 AM)Square Wrote: I think you are right.  I can't find it now, but one of the news links said they were going to reuse the concrete basement.

There is no basement left. It was demolished completely, except for some bits along Courtland.

Acitta/Square are right, I also remembered an old news video where the guy said they were keeping the wall, and thank you google I found it.  Just after one minute he says they're cutting some off the top and keeping the rest as a retaining wall.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/demolition-...Id%3D89950
Sunday March 3         

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »