Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
(01-20-2022, 09:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: Well my point still stands. People still need to use vehicles. It's one thing to say people can go from home to work on the bus/LRT or ride a bike. That's fine if you're just doing that. But people often need to do other things in their day - pick up groceries, friends, elderly parents, their children from daycare etc. You can't carry home a ton of groceries on the bus, nor can you carry your child home on a bike. They may come from out of the region as well, as many do, so looking at how far homes are from a transit stop is not a particularly useful metric all the time. It's easier to take your car and do whatever errands one needs to do in 1 trip than to go back and forth. They could solve the need for ugly, wasteful surface lots by building parking garages, but unfortunately those cost millions of dollars to construct, so many developments don't utilize them.

Until the cities/region become one a utopia of walkable communities with good rapid transit, this stuff is still going to be necessary. It's going to take us decades to get to the point where you can live, work, do your shopping etc all within a couple hundred meters of each other. But we're not Toronto, Berlin, Tokyo or New York City, so there will always be a need to meet in the middle while advocating for change but while understanding the necessity for traditional vehicle transportation and the requirements that come along with that.

You can pick up groceries with a bicycle or by transit. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years. You might be surprised at how much you can get into a decent set of panniers. I know of some that can fit two each of those big reusable bags with the double set of long and short handles. I can easily bring home enough for meals for two for a week with just two of those bags. I also have a two-wheeled cart in which I can fit 6 of those bags.

You can also get your children from day care or school by transit or a by bike, too. There's these awesome things called child seats and bike trailers. Or the really neat Dutch-style cargo bikes, which can also be used for grocery shopping.

You are objectively wrong about most of your claims about what you can and cannot do with a bike or transit.

Plus, you also seem to be assuming that once they make a choice on mode, they are limited to only that mode.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General University Area Updates and Rumours - by Bytor - 01-27-2022, 08:44 PM