Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
None in new buildings at that price. They are mostly houses/townhouses/3-4 story student buildings.

You can find sublets at the newer towers starting around $520.

(11-29-2014, 08:55 AM)Smore Wrote: So who lives in the little old houses now, if the students are in towers?
Yeah, the word is that a lot of the further out houses and townhouses are reverting back to owner-occupied. About 2 years ago, I remember a document posted on Wonderful Waterloo which detailed the number and location of rental licenses in the city. They had already drastically reduced in a couple years.
(11-29-2014, 02:53 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: None in new buildings at that price. They are mostly houses/townhouses/3-4 story student buildings.

You can find sublets at the newer towers starting around $520.

Rental prices really haven't gone up. My son paid $530 with 4 others in a great five bedroom apartment unit back in 2011 when he graduated.
I was paying $500+utilities in a house close to Uptown in 2007/8, when enrollment was about 26,000.  It's now about 31,000.

[edit] Exact enrollment numbers
The university sure has been growing. All those people have to live somewhere!
(11-29-2014, 06:50 PM)Markster Wrote: I was paying $500+utilities in a house close to Uptown in 2007/8, when enrollment was about 26,000.  It's now about 31,000.

The university sure has been growing. All those people have to live somewhere!

Sure, if you compare increases in enrollments at UW and WLU against built housing stock during the last 10 years the numbers are not that far apart. The point is that we are about to add 5,000 bedrooms on top of that at a time when forecasts call for more or less stable student numbers. 

The prices I'm seeing strongly suggest that we have a bit of oversupply as it is already. I don't recall seeing much outside dinky basement apartments below $400 for the Winter term in the last decade.

Places like Icon 330 and Phillip Square will still be built, because their proximity to the Universities will save them from lowering their prices. The places that will see reductions in rents are buildings farther out, like the high rises in the general area of Union and King or badly kept units like some of the townhouses in the Lakeshore area.

There is still a strong demand for professional units, particularly bachelor/1 bedroom units, which seems to be a strong focus of 100 Victoria/1 Victoria/K2 and even Icon 330.
(11-29-2014, 08:23 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: The prices I'm seeing strongly suggest that we have a bit of oversupply as it is already. I don't recall seeing much outside dinky basement apartments below $400 for the Winter term in the last decade.

On the contrary, I would say we have had an undersupply and only now are approaching a reasonable supply. It doesn't otherwise make sense why students would have been living in Lakeshore, far from most amenities, and overcrowding the Route 9 bus.
(11-30-2014, 02:18 AM)mpd618 Wrote: On the contrary, I would say we have had an undersupply and only now are approaching a reasonable supply. It doesn't otherwise make sense why students would have been living in Lakeshore, far from most amenities, and overcrowding the Route 9 bus.

You get no argument from me. We are coming out of four decades of anti-student city councils. Only 8 years ago or so did city council became open to addressing the needs of students housing. It started with Nodes and Corridors, but they were too timid to follow it to its natural conclusion which is a thriving Northdale mixed-use neighbourhood. This has finally been approved in the last two years, and now we'll see consolidation of the student population into a hip Northdale neighbourhood.

You are far more optimistic about Northdale than I am.  I hope you are right.
(11-30-2014, 11:33 AM)REnerd Wrote: You are far more optimistic about Northdale than I am.  I hope you are right.

It really is up to City Council. One thing I can tell you, there are very nice, well known student districts out there: Latin Quarter in Paris; the entire city of Cambridge, England; Cambridge, Massachusetts; Berkeley; Austin; Ann Arbor; Madison. These are nice, hip areas that people long to live in.

Student ghettos are created by City Council regulations not by students.
Laurier adds last piece of the puzzle with property purchase
February 25, 2015 | James Jackson | Waterloo Chronicle | LINK

Quote:The last piece of privately owned land on the campus of Wilfrid Laurier University has been purchased by the university.

In a deal that closed in the first week of January, the school reached a sale agreement with the family that has owned the brown brick home for more than 60 years. WLU paid $590,000 for the 1,233 square-foot home and the 0.07 hectare (0.17 acre) rectangular piece of land at 46 Bricker Ave.

“For reasons of prudent long-term planning, Laurier acquired the property in order to integrate it into the campus and to avoid the possible risk of it being used in a way that was not compatible with the university campus,” said Kevin Crowley, director of communications with WLU.

Crowley also said the school has not yet determined a specific use for the property but is “exploring a number of potential options.”

The property was first listed for sale on Aug. 15, 2014 and garnered plenty of interest from a range of investors, said realtor Mike Milovick when he talked to the Chronicle back in September, but the fact the land was only zoned for university use and could only be developed in conjunction with the university ultimately limited the number of potential buyers and impacted the sale price, Milovick said.

The final sale price is about 40 per cent lower than the $960,000 asking price.

“The only buyer able to utilize the property from a development perspective (was) WLU,” said Milovick in an email.

The home was originally built in 1941 by Helen Merner after she purchased the land from the Town of Waterloo in June of that year for $200, according to land registry records.

Frank and Isabelle Keachie purchased the home in 1952 when it was still surrounded by farm fields and they paid $12,800.

The most recent owner, Mary-Jo Guy, is the daughter of the Keachies and she has lived there since 1986. Health concerns from her family prompted her to move out and put the home up for sale last year.

Guy’s son, Richard Weston, helped handle the sale of the property from his home in San Diego but couldn’t be reached for comment.

The sale of the land completes a long, drawn out effort by the university to purchase all of the property attached to its main campus.

In 1962, the university bought a group of four houses at the corner of Bricker Avenue and Albert Street — the location of the current seminary — for $144,000, and in 1966 the university made it known they intended to purchase the rest of the block as part of its master plan.

According to Weston, WLU attempted to buy the land from his mother as recently as the early 1990s when the school was planning to build the neighbouring Bricker Residence, which opened in 1991.
Does anyone know who purchased the Waterloo Legion building (19 Regina St) and what they are planning for the site?
While we're at it, anyone know what's going on with Sunview Street (WLU properties)? Noticed there is no one living in their buildings... (maybe I've missed it somewhere on the thread).
(03-04-2015, 07:44 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Does anyone know who purchased the Waterloo Legion building (19 Regina St) and what they are planning for the site?

I haven't heard anything, I wonder if the new owners would keep the building as is or do some serious renovations. From the outside it doesn't look great. It looks like they bricked up a bunch of the windows for some reason at one point.

(03-10-2015, 10:36 PM)curiouschair Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 07:44 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Does anyone know who purchased the Waterloo Legion building (19 Regina St) and what they are planning for the site?

I haven't heard anything, I wonder if the new owners would keep the building as is or do some serious renovations. From the outside it doesn't look great. It looks like they bricked up a bunch of the windows for some reason at one point.

The building was originally a factory but the windows were bricked up when the Legion occupied the building in the 1950s.  Depending on zoning, we might expect something similar to what was done to the Waterloo Music building.
Another crane has gone up in the University (Northdale) Area.  I believe the latest is for a project on either Lester or Sunview St.  

[Image: oplvS1Z.jpg?1]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »