Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
(11-18-2023, 03:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 08:09 PM)bravado Wrote: That all makes sense, so just another cost of your comfort at home and low gas money budget is that you have to pay out the ass for parking and walk from the corner of campus... Can't really have it both ways.

This is the right take.

This is no different than complaining that gas is too expensive.

Accita's take is wrong...it is isn't possible to bike from everywhere in the region. I also drove to campus and I also hated parking there, but I lived with family in New Hamburg (more than a decade before they had even the absolutely minimal transit they have now), getting to campus REQUIRED a car...biking was infeasible in summer and impossible in winter. If I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have been in school. And yes, it was still cheaper than living on campus...for me it wasn't for comfort, it was financial reality. Housing was and is way more expensive than driving, but largely because driving is massively subsidised.
Well, I cycle all over the region, including going to New Hamburg on occasion. I agree that for a daily commute, New Hamburg to Waterloo is rather long and most people may not want to do that. However, if you live in Kitchener or Waterloo and your destination is in either of those, then commuting by bicycle is definitely a reasonable proposition. I live in Kitchener and regularly shop at the Wholesale Club in Waterloo and periodically go to the St. Jacobs Market. It is not difficult. I have never owned a car in my life, and couldn't afford one even if I wanted one. There are a lot of people who live a car-free lifestyle. In fact, one of the reasons I moved to Kitchener 22 years ago was that the Region was great for cycling.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General University Area Updates and Rumours - by Acitta - 11-18-2023, 02:08 PM