Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
(11-17-2023, 08:09 PM)bravado Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 06:29 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Well primarily because our cities are built like shit and so you still need a car to get most places in any reasonable amount of time. 

That said I would love to take a bus or the Ion, but when it’s a 15 minute drive from my parents house to the nearest bus stop or a 25 min drive to the nearest LRT stop and only a 35-40 min drive to the university, taking transit doesn’t make much sense. 

Alternatively I could pay $1000 a month to live in a shitty apartment next to the university but I’d rather be comfortable at home for free and pay the gas money instead.

That all makes sense, so just another cost of your comfort at home and low gas money budget is that you have to pay out the ass for parking and walk from the corner of campus... Can't really have it both ways.

This is the right take.

This is no different than complaining that gas is too expensive.

Accita's take is wrong...it is isn't possible to bike from everywhere in the region. I also drove to campus and I also hated parking there, but I lived with family in New Hamburg (more than a decade before they had even the absolutely minimal transit they have now), getting to campus REQUIRED a car...biking was infeasible in summer and impossible in winter. If I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have been in school. And yes, it was still cheaper than living on campus...for me it wasn't for comfort, it was financial reality. Housing was and is way more expensive than driving, but largely because driving is massively subsidised.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General University Area Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 11-18-2023, 03:55 AM