Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
Oct 28, 2014 208 Sunview st. I am pretty sure people have already moved into this building.

[Image: EgSTb7K.png]
I think they did some time ago. If memory serves the work that's being done now is to renovate the main floor to allow for retail.

It was approved under the old zoning, and now that the Northdale zoning is in place, this and some others have applied to renovate the main floors.
Going by 312 to 322 King St yesterday it looked like work was getting underway there. A few years ago I believe a project was proposed for that site tucked in beside the "Kings Landing" building.

All I can find is some legal documents relating to the property.
The work at "king's landing "maybe just prep for a parking lot.
By my estimate 256 Phillip, Icon 330, the Block, the Hub and Sage will put online over 5000 bedrooms. This is in addition to the numerous towers built during the last five years on King and Lester. Is it possible that this next batch of units might not see enough demand from students?
(11-28-2014, 09:14 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: By my estimate 256 Phillip, Icon 330, the Block, the Hub and Sage will put online over 5000 bedrooms. This is in addition to the numerous towers built during the last five years on King and Lester. Is it possible that this next batch of units might not see enough demand from students?

That's the thing about bubbles. It's hard to know when they're going to pop.
(11-28-2014, 09:14 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: By my estimate 256 Phillip, Icon 330, the Block, the Hub and Sage will put online over 5000 bedrooms. This is in addition to the numerous towers built during the last five years on King and Lester. Is it possible that this next batch of units might not see enough demand from students?

These new units are likely to be better than lots of older apartments around KW, and have better transit access. Demand isn't just from students, and hopefully these buildings do expand past what student-only demand can support.

Alternatively, once one- and two-bedroom units are more widely available, students will flock to those and perhaps force down the price for the 5-bedroom ones.
So who lives in the little old houses now, if the students are in towers?
(11-29-2014, 08:55 AM)Smore Wrote: So who lives in the little old houses now, if the students are in towers?

In certain areas of the city the number of students renting houses has gone down dramatically. I'd include among those Mary Allen, Beechwood, Lincoln heights and Westvale.

Also anecdotally, I see a large number of units listed at <$400 per month for the Winter term. This is the busiest term of the year, and usually quite hard to get anything under $500 on a term lease.
Are those $400 units in houses or in the new buildings?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »