Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
The website has 36-42 University East at 25 stories, not seven. Which seems like a huge difference.

As for 175 Weber Street, that area could definitely use some sprucing up. It's actually not too bad in terms of walkability, being close to shopping at Bridgeport/Weber, as well as amenities along University Avenue. It's also directly on two bus routes (8, 12), as well as a short walk from a couple of others (202, 92). Walkscore.com rates it 84 ("Very Walkable").

Yeah, sorry, I mixed up the two properties, 175 Weber N is the seven-story one.

And, yes, it is walkable. But not a very nice walk, I think, along that part of Weber.
@ timc

Just to clarify, the #12 bus does not go very close to 175 Weber as it comes down Lincoln and then turns right on Weber toward University, and the #8 turns left off Weber on to Union on it's way to Charles St. I don't think that stretch of Weber is on any bus route, just like Weber north of University doesn't, much to the chagrin of those who live in the area of Weber/Bridgeport/Erb.
(03-11-2017, 12:19 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: @ timc

Just to clarify, the #12 bus does not go very close to 175 Weber as it comes down Lincoln and then turns right on Weber toward University, and the #8 turns left off Weber on to Union on it's way to Charles St. I don't think that stretch of Weber is on any bus route, just like Weber north of University doesn't, much to the chagrin of those who live in the area of Weber/Bridgeport/Erb.

175 Weber St N is on the corner of Weber and Marshall in Waterloo, right beside routes 8 and 12.
/\ My apologies. I thought it was Weber south.

So is this right on the corner beside Mother's?
Yes, right beside Mother's.
That will be good.

(03-10-2017, 11:09 AM)timc Wrote: I saw signs posted about a zone change application in front of those four houses on the south side of Columbia east of Albert. Does anyone know what is being planned there?

Here's the concrete wall that's proposed for there.
Zone change application.
Well, uh, OK. I'm not sure I like the greyness of it, but it is an interesting building.

The render looks like it has posts in the middle of the sidewalk. Which might be an improvement over the state of that sidewalk after a snowfall. /s

Looking through the plan, I like that there is a possible pathway from the end of Hemlock through to Columbia alongside the site.
Ya I do like the pathway aspect too. A little shocked it states the pathway block is existing (in the urban design brief), cause it looks like two houses side-by-side to me. Nevertheless, it's wise to have pathways with all these larger developments.
The render really looks awful, looks they didn't spend much on it.  But I think the design is decent.

From the urban design brief:
Quote:The proposed development integrates a number of design features aimed at improving the street edges and public realm surrounding the building. The podium and middle part of the building were conscientiously designed to provide a consistent street wall along Columbia Street West and Albert Street. The building podium is recessed at grade to extend the public realm into the private creating a seamless integration between the two. The ground floor uses are accessed from the streets and are glazed to provide visual connections with the streets. The extended pedestrian zone at grade can be used for spill-out commercial activities such as outdoor cafe seating that will increase pedestrian activity. Access to the building on Columbia Street is provided by a residential entrance and separate commercial entrances. Large windows at grade improve the level of visibility between the public and private realms and a welcoming environment for pedestrians. Thus, the physical and visual connections help animate the building edges along the streets.

I'm extremely pleased to see mixed-use coming to Columbia/Albert!

That corner was virtually dead-centre in a single-use-residential deadzone, despite being very heavily populated with students. It's only with the SAGE developments that services have come anywhere near it. I suppose there's the large development kitty-corner that's also bringing retail/service to the area, but this site will have much better visibility.
It looks like there is something major about to happen around Laurier's Frank Peters building at University/Albert.  Temporary chainlink fencing has been erected along the sidewalk at the University/Albert corner.

It's fenced off because of a major asbestos issue Smile
Some more details on Merx.com.

Quote:The Peters Building was constructed in 1980 and is approximately 76,000 square feet (gross) in area. The building HVAC systems and controls are beyond the end of their useful life and due for replacement. Furthermore, the interior layouts require improvements, as the numerous corridors and turns are widely considered to be “confusing” to users. The renovations in this building would include, but are not limited to, removal of asbestos containing material, replacement of major mechanical (heating/cooling/plumbing/sprinkler) and electrical (power/lighting/fire alarm) systems, re-configuration of classroom spaces, floor plan re-design to address user needs, interior finishes. Additionally there may be the opportunities for improvements to exterior façade and landscaping, replacement of exterior doors and windows and various accessibility improvements
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »