Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
131 University Ave W | 16 fl | U/C
Address: 131 University Ave.West
Developer:
Architect: ASP

[Image: pxer7wu.jpg]

[Image: 2eWf5UF.jpg]

Current site conditions: https://goo.gl/maps/nJ7TRuUB2Pt

Really liking a lot of these new projects that are being rolled out. Good design, often mixed use. I approve!
Rainbow road running up the front side towards University.... We'll see how this looks in real life if it comes to fruition.
I'm glad to see architects starting to use more colour... finally. That said, ASP loves shades of orange.
(10-30-2015, 11:36 AM)firex Wrote: Rainbow road running up the front side towards University.... We'll see how this looks in real life if it comes to fruition.

That was always my favourite course, so I'm holding out hope!
Waterloo concerned about possible den conversions

"Allowing dens has given the development industry a way around our community's density and parking requirements," Coun. Mark Whaley said.

On Monday, council voted unanimously to defer a decision on a 16-storey, 92-unit condo project at 131 University Ave.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6169...nversions/
Too many Dens, claims city council and "some community members".

Waterloo concerned about possible den conversions
The Record
Quote:Waterloo politicians are concerned that developers are skirting density rules by including dens in their projects that can later be converted to bedrooms.

"Allowing dens has given the development industry a way around our community's density and parking requirements," Coun. Mark Whaley said.

On Monday, council voted unanimously to defer a decision on a 16-storey, 92-unit condo project at 131 University Ave.

It's sandwiched between the two university campuses and is intended to house students.

The project is at the maximum density allowed for the site according to city rules. The units are supposed to include one bedroom, but 82 also include dens.

In recent months, politicians and some community members have raised concerns about the 'plus-den' projects. They worry those dens later get used as bedrooms.

[...]
The city has a review underway of its zoning bylaw that could address the den issue.

Other cities count dens as bedrooms when they calculate density. Rapp said the city will explore various legislation that could help the city get a handle on dens.

So what exactly is the real problem here?
This is a development right in between two universities. It's next to employment, retail services, entertainment. It's on a major bus corridor. It's very close to a future LRT stop.  If this isn't where you should have higher density, where is?

(12-11-2015, 01:31 PM)Markster Wrote: So what exactly is the real problem here?
This is a development right in between two universities. It's next to employment, retail services, entertainment. It's on a major bus corridor. It's very close to a future LRT stop.  If this isn't where you should have higher density, where is?

I think the issue at hand is the developer is using a loophole to get around the parking requirements, rather than going through the proper channels to get a parking variance approved.

Whether they should be approved for a variance is another discussion. Although I imagine the developer believes they won't be if they are trying this approach.
I can understand why they'd want to avoid seeking a variance, the city of Waterloo doesn't seem conducive to granting them even where it makes a lot of sense.
Has this been completed?
(05-23-2017, 09:52 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Has this been completed?

I don't think it has even started construction!
I wasn't sure what state it was at.
This thread is a bit of a blast from the past, but I saw that the buildings at this location were being demolished today.

Was the building ever approved?
Deferred....my guess until after the election?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »