Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
(03-04-2015, 10:44 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: This development is now advertising in the radio. I think they would be better off canning the radio spots and applying that money towards lower rents.

Seriously?  The rents may be too high (I can't really judge myself) but if they spend $20K on radio spots -- take that, divide it over, say, 200 units and one year, and you get a whopping $8 rent reduction per month.  I don't think that'll convince anyone.

If they are unsuccessful in signing tenants, I'm sure we will see rent reductions -- or a conversion to a condominium.

Don't forget that it's Auburn - they don't seem to be subject to the kinds of financial considerations that influence other developers. Wink
April 29, 2015 - The 25 story buildings are being marketed as The Onyx.

[Image: 5VXExsH.png]

[Image: GGwNQ89.png]

[Image: hLDIcvK.png]
Long term, do people who live in condo towers or apartments refer to their buildings by the name that the developer chose? Or do they choose something else like the address (eg 13 Father David Bauer Drive)?
Generally not in day to day conversation, I just call it home. But when calling for a taxi or a pizza I've found that saying the apartment name generally helps, the drivers tend to be familiar with them.
May 27, 2015

[Image: iHEE7Xj.jpg]

[Image: jw4trCy.jpg]

[Image: gOmynhp.jpg]

[Image: uJ07PIM.jpg]

[Image: i44svRA.jpg]
I'm still in shock that all of those buildings were able to fit in that space!

Still more buildingd to go.
So are all three of these rental buildings?
As far as I know all the apartment buildings will be rentals.

Seems like the second 25 story tower has not progressed much for quite a long time.
The way this complex meets Father David Bauer Drive is just appalling.
I don't have a problem with the podium of the towers going up, but the general access into and out of the complex is starting to become apparent, and it's just as bad at integrating with the neighborhood as it looked like it was going to be.
No one will ever find themselves at the Rec Centre having casually wandered through this place.
(06-17-2015, 09:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Seems like the second 25 story tower has not progressed much for quite a long time.

I can confirm that this morning, both cranes were working hard.

The plan is to open a rental tower every years. They opened one last year, another one this year. Keeping to schedule the next one will open late sometime around March or April 2016.
(06-17-2015, 10:01 PM)Markster Wrote: I don't have a problem with the podium of the towers going up, but the general access into and out of the complex is starting to become apparent, and it's just as bad at integrating with the neighborhood as it looked like it was going to be.
No one will ever find themselves at the Rec Centre having casually wandered through this place.

Will this improve once the various holes are filled and pedestrians will have access over some spots that are currently holes in the ground?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »