Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
(10-30-2017, 11:50 AM)strickliability Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 11:20 AM)Markster Wrote: So what's the crane for?  The commercial office space? I can't remember what goes there, and the image link in the first post is borked!

This building is called Royal Oak. It will be 20 stories. 

There are two more residential towers (plus the townhomes) in addition to this tower on the original site plan (provided to residents when you move in) 

http://barrelyards.com/wp-content/upload..._large.jpg

There are also two office towers in addition to the three remaining residential towers. If you look at the site plan there has been some changes, this latest building was to be 18 stories but we were told through resident communication it would be 20 stories. 

Still another 12 and 10 story buildings on the plan. Were told the residential building will be completed before they start on the two office towers and commercial space. We've also heard speculation that there has been revisions to the office tower plans.

Don't I recall that one of the two office towers was cancelled?

(10-30-2017, 05:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 11:50 AM)strickliability Wrote: This building is called Royal Oak. It will be 20 stories. 

There are two more residential towers (plus the townhomes) in addition to this tower on the original site plan (provided to residents when you move in) 

http://barrelyards.com/wp-content/upload..._large.jpg

There are also two office towers in addition to the three remaining residential towers. If you look at the site plan there has been some changes, this latest building was to be 18 stories but we were told through resident communication it would be 20 stories. 

Still another 12 and 10 story buildings on the plan. Were told the residential building will be completed before they start on the two office towers and commercial space. We've also heard speculation that there has been revisions to the office tower plans.

Don't I recall that one of the two office towers was cancelled?

I don't think any of them are cancelled. The thing about office only buildings is that in this type of market they need to have a major tenant lined up for them to go ahead, so in the end we might see only one tower if that's what there is demand for, and it could be shorter than approved or proposed (even if they are allowed to be two at a certain height).
(10-30-2017, 09:10 PM)urbd Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 05:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Don't I recall that one of the two office towers was cancelled?

I don't think any of them are cancelled. The thing about office only buildings is that in this type of market they need to have a major tenant lined up for them to go ahead, so in the end we might see only one tower if that's what there is demand for, and it could be shorter than approved or proposed (even if they are allowed to be two at a certain height).

And of course a major tenant could also bump up the priority of an office tower, ahead of one of the remaining residential buildings.  If the opportunity is there, you don't want to let it slip through your fingers.
Thanks for all of the info on this one. With so many moving parts I find this one hard to keep track of at times.
Any info on unit totals for the remaining residential towers?
Someone was asking about progress in another thread (Arrow lofts phase II I think).

These are all taken from the parking lot in behind the finished towers.

The newest tower is just creeping about ground level (the clearance on the crane boom and the finished tower seems like only 2-3m):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The forms for tower 5 are above ground now.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
^ 6 months later, would love to see a photo update if anyone would be so kind to upload. I'm not living in Canada atm, so your photo updates are the next best thing Smile
(04-11-2019, 02:06 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: ^ 6 months later, would love to see a photo update if anyone would be so kind to upload. I'm not living in Canada atm, so your photo updates are the next best thing Smile

No change on the tower.  The forming contractor closed their doors, same contractor that was at Arrow Lofts.  Everything's just sitting there, I guess waiting for a new contractor to get the job.

A bit more is done in the back where the last photo showed a mobile crane set up.  It looks like it will be another area with two levels of parking back there.  Sorry I have no photo.
Sometimes I wonder what Barrel Yards will be like when it's fully built out. At the moment, it manages to be both upmarket and dreary. Very Waterloo, but one hopes for more.
(04-12-2019, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sometimes I wonder what Barrel Yards will be like when it's fully built out.  At the moment, it manages to be both upmarket and dreary.  Very Waterloo, but one hopes for more.

"At the moment, it manages to be both upmarket and dreary.  Very Waterloo"

LOL, well said! So true!
(04-12-2019, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sometimes I wonder what Barrel Yards will be like when it's fully built out.  At the moment, it manages to be both upmarket and dreary.  Very Waterloo, but one hopes for more.

It will be interesting to see how things feel in the future once the roads finally connect to Erb and you can walk through the development, not just around it. I don't think anything is planned, but I feel like there would be a very good case for some sort of retail in the middle of this development, even if it's just a handful of things like a convenience store, cafe and restaurant.

I hope there is retail in the middle too

Does anyone feel like this will actually be somewhere people will want to walk? I always thought any pedestrian traffic would just be residents coming and going from their buildings
(04-15-2019, 06:07 AM)Spokes Wrote: I hope there is retail in the middle too

Does anyone feel like this will actually be somewhere people will want to walk?  I always thought any pedestrian traffic would just be residents coming and going from their buildings

Not that people will "want" to walk, but BarrelYards blvd is the extension of Menno Street, so it will be a key route to get to and from Waterloo Park. I have been in the situation many times that crossing through BarrelYards would be extremely convenient to get somewhere.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »