Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
September 23, 2014

[Image: UUwvGwL.png]

[Image: JGQidP7.png]

[Image: 3pofysN.png]

[Image: YIhuMFC.png]

[Image: B6OMQGs.png]

[Image: y0f1E4M.png]

A couple of shots from today:

[Image: barrel9271.jpg]

[Image: barrel9272.jpg]

[Image: barrel9273.jpg]

[Image: barrel9274.jpg]
I'm actually quite excited for the streetscape along Father David Bauer. I think having mixed use in the office building followed by the walkups in the apartment building will provide some decent street life.

Are the walkups still supposed to be live/work lofts, or are they just apartments now?
Spokes Wrote:I'm actually quite excited for the streetscape along Father David Bauer. I think having mixed use in the office building followed by the walkups in the apartment building will provide some decent street life.

Are the walkups still supposed to be live/work lofts, or are they just apartments now?
Last I was in to the sales centre, they were still being marketed as live/work spaces.

The staff was also insistent that there would be no condominium units for purchase in any of the buildings, everything was going to be rentals. This surprised me given what we saw with the original site plan.
I will also add that even though I have been critical of the development in the past, it really is growing on me now that we are seeing some completed buildings.
I was surprised about it only being rentals too. I guess they've decided given the market they'd like to hold onto the units for now.

So what exactly is a live work loft? Is it considered residential or commercial?
Dual zoning most likely.

The ground floor units in the Seagram Lofts are the same way, which is why you see doctors, dentists, physiotherapists, etc setting up shop there.

Any updates on the office tower?
October 22, 2014

Currently on the 7th floor
[Image: Gkux2E3.png]

Currently on the 15th floor
[Image: NrteNge.png]
The units here are renting slowly. Rents are sky high, even though they have already been discounted from the original opening prices. The first tower complex is about 60% full with two more towers coming online relatively soon. My prediction is that present rental rates will come have to come down by 25% for this development to fill up.
Define - with square footage, room combinations in units - sky high? Not disagreeing, I just haven't ever seen the numbers.
The interior of the building is quite nice, and from the tour we had, we were informed that the more desirable units, corner suites and higher up were mostly taken. For approximately 1300-1400 square feet they were looking at roughly $2200-2300+ a month. There has been a lot of attention to detail, crown moulding, high end finishes, so I would have to say that the prices are fair for what you get. Will the KW market absorb another building with similar units and rates, is a good question.
(01-27-2015, 09:18 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Define - with square footage, room combinations in units - sky high? Not disagreeing, I just haven't ever seen the numbers.

I can rent a similar sized unit in the Red, Bauer lofts, 144 Park or Seagram Lofts for about 35% less.

Looks like that new Delta sign on Erb St W is about to change. Marriott expanding in Canada with purchase of Delta hotel brand

Quote:Under the agreement, the U.S. hotel chain will take over the management and franchise operations for the 38 Delta hotels and resorts including 10,000 rooms across Canada... Marriott says it plans to integrate the Delta hotels into its systems, loyalty program and website.
(01-27-2015, 01:38 PM)ookpik Wrote: Looks like that new Delta sign on Erb St W is about to change. Marriott expanding in Canada with purchase of Delta hotel brand

Quote:Under the agreement, the U.S. hotel chain will take over the management and franchise operations for the 38 Delta hotels and resorts including 10,000 rooms across Canada... Marriott says it plans to integrate the Delta hotels into its systems, loyalty program and website.

Delta seems to have spent a bunch of money rebranding itself as a bit more upscale, perhaps in an attempt to sell itself for something like this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »