Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
(03-13-2021, 10:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: What did they just finish? I haven't been near this project in months, so all I know is that the two Onyx towers, two Cooperage towers and the hotel have been completed.

I believe it's the Royal Oak 1, the fifth residential tower. Two more residential towers to go after this one.

Thanks. Are there still plans for the office towers? I have a vague recollection that they put them on indefinite hold unless there was demand. The website just has them listed as "future building" now rather than "office tower" as the first image in the thread says.
I was always under the impression that the corner was being held for office buildings, but we'll see. I could see them finishing everything else and going with residential.
Or they leave the space empty for now, and focus on the Schneiders/Metz property.
Because heaven forbid they multitask
Or more likely, see which way the residential and commercial real estate winds blow. Given that the major development at Westmount Place is on hold and that other large tenants have been reducing their commercial footprints, now might be the time to wait and see before committing to a building that was likely designed 5-10 years ago using the assumptions for 5-10 years ago.
When is google maps going to update our satellite imagery? When you 3D view it, there's so much missing... Actually I "wandered" around all of KW and many projects that are now complete aren't even started in the 3D images.

There's a crane up again. It looks like it's for another building facing onto Erb. I'll try to get some photos soon.

That house in the last picture has quite the deck on the back. I wonder if they'd even issue permits for something that wild anymore. It's right up to the attic level.
Is it a deck or a fire escape? You see a lot of those kinds of structures on houses that have been subdivided/rented out as rooms.
Hahaha I love how there's so much excitement about the next Barrel Yards building that the conversation is about the neighbour's deck.
It's probably a tri-plex at least, I'm sure that's somebody's entrance.

House in that area were converted to student housing for a lot of the 80s and 90s. I grew up in that area (my parents are still there), had various Chronicle and Record routes over the years in the area bordered by Westmount, Erb, Caroline and William and just spent a lot of time out and about there. I would consider that a deck, and it is of very high quality compared to most of the fire escapes erected during that time, which were mostly a couple of stories of 12" 2x6 risers up the side of the house that probably weren't even up to code then.
(05-21-2021, 12:31 PM)mastermind Wrote: Hahaha I love how there's so much excitement about the next Barrel Yards building that the conversation is about the neighbour's deck.
Can excitement reach negative levels? Because if so it definitely has for me. Barrel yards is a disaster
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »