Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
American Block Redevelopment | 3 fl | U/C
Application to demolish portions of existing structure:

Good visual on page 4 helps to understand what may come down:
Demolish all of building'F' is described in the HIA as a cinder block addition constructed post 1950 and not of cultural heritage value or interest;
Demolish the west half of building 'G' which is a late 19th century ancillary building of modest cultural heritage value and not visible from the public realm;
Demolish the existing 50 foot chimney at the interior of the lot, which has been identified by CAHP (Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals) Engineers as being a safety risk due to its poor structural condition;
Demolish the east elevations of 'B', 'D', 'E' which are not visible from the public realm and do not include any significant heritage attributes; and
Demolish the north elevation of 'E' which is currently a blank fascade and which does not include any significant heritage attributes
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

It might just be me, but that link doesn't seem to work.
(10-28-2017, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It might just be me, but that link doesn't seem to work.

Same here
Works for me.
So is Building C (along King St) part of the project but a separate property, at least for the time being?
(10-28-2017, 02:47 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Works for me.

It failed for me earlier today, but now it's fine. Huh.
I wonder where Legacy Greens will relocate to? Jordan (if I recall her name correctly) has established a nice little business there.

Legacy Greens' unit is not in this development. Only the westernmost unit facing King is included; it's mostly the building along Queen, and the rear of it.
Legacy Greens isn't part of this redevelopment, but they are nevertheless relocating to Ontario Street soon.
(10-29-2017, 02:02 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Legacy Greens isn't part of this redevelopment, but they are nevertheless relocating to Ontario Street soon.

Where to on Ontario?
Across from the bus station maybe? There are, I think, three empty (and renovated) storefronts there.
(10-28-2017, 10:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: Legacy Greens' unit is not in this development. Only the westernmost unit facing King is included; it's mostly the building along Queen, and the rear of it.

Not part of this demolition request. Surely the actual redevelopment will include the rest of the block. Or am I mistaken?
(10-29-2017, 10:36 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 10:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: Legacy Greens' unit is not in this development. Only the westernmost unit facing King is included; it's mostly the building along Queen, and the rear of it.

Not part of this demolition request. Surely the actual redevelopment will include the rest of the block. Or am I mistaken?

Does the developer own the rest of the block?  I'm thinking "no".

By the way, whatever happened to the new build at the end of the block?  Everything seemed to come to a halt after they finished the exterior.

Legacy Greens is moving to be next to Two Goblets, I believe.
I believe the plans for the new build were a proposal for Stantec when they were debating staying in the core vs moving to the R&T park. In the end they decided on the move. I'm sure the plans could be revived if another major tenant was interested, but absent that I don't think we should expect any movement. And I find it hard to imagine a tech company picking the Stantec proposal over something like the Huck Glove one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »