Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
American Block Redevelopment | 3 fl | U/C
(11-21-2019, 03:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 12:01 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There's scaffolding around the entire building, so I think so. It's difficult to tell what, if anything, is actually happening underneath though.

It looks like there is some brick repair/repointing being done. But what else will be done?

Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of the project itself. I work close by though, and am able to comment on what is visible from the street.

(11-21-2019, 03:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 12:01 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There's scaffolding around the entire building, so I think so. It's difficult to tell what, if anything, is actually happening underneath though.

It looks like there is some brick repair/repointing being done. But what else will be done?

Here's the leasing brochure for the building. It has a render of the changes to the laneway side of the building, and the floorplans/interior photos. It shows the space that is/was Caper's as becoming part of the office, so I guess they'll be gone soon (if they aren't already). https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/user_a...1568661019
This is going to be such a nice improvement to this corner. I hope that the expansion of themuseum, if it goes forward, will see something built on the Bank of Montreal site that complements the historic structures on the other three corners.
There are now windows, on the second floor, on the north side of the building.
Taken 10 minutes ago or so. Capers is still open, there is an opening in the scaffolding for its door. It's approximately where the back of the courier van is in the third picture, for people who don't know the building. I didn't take a picture directly of it because there were several people and I try not to take pictures of people when I can avoid them.

Looking forward to this one too
Lots of work being done inside, outside and on top of the American Block.  I always thought that the four buildings beside the American Hotel look like inner city slum properties.  They look okay from King Street but the back leaves a lot to be desired.  

(11-25-2019, 04:45 PM)jgsz Wrote: Lots of work being done inside, outside and on top of the American Block.  I always thought that the four buildings beside the American Hotel look like inner city slum properties.  They look okay from King Street but the back leaves a lot to be desired.  

It’s called “character” Smile Tongue I love these old sorts of buildings with additions added on over time.
(11-25-2019, 07:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:45 PM)jgsz Wrote: Lots of work being done inside, outside and on top of the American Block.  I always thought that the four buildings beside the American Hotel look like inner city slum properties.  They look okay from King Street but the back leaves a lot to be desired.  

It’s called “character”  Smile  Tongue  I love these old sorts of buildings with additions added on over time.

Maybe it has too much character.  Regardless,  I wouldn’t turn it into an architectural shrine.
(11-25-2019, 08:48 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: It’s called “character”  Smile  Tongue  I love these old sorts of buildings with additions added on over time.

Maybe it has too much character.  Regardless,  I wouldn’t turn it into an architectural shrine.

With this renovation, most of the "character" will relate to the three properties in the middle of the building, both ends being "new".  (By the way, will anything ever be done to finish the faux property at the east end of the building?  There must be a story there ....  )
(11-25-2019, 09:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 08:48 PM)jgsz Wrote: Maybe it has too much character.  Regardless,  I wouldn’t turn it into an architectural shrine.

With this renovation, most of the "character" will relate to the three properties in the middle of the building, both ends being "new".  (By the way, will anything ever be done to finish the faux property at the east end of the building?  There must be a story there ....  )

The one that was involved in the fire?

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...ht-months/
(11-26-2019, 04:30 AM)Square Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 09:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote: With this renovation, most of the "character" will relate to the three properties in the middle of the building, both ends being "new".  (By the way, will anything ever be done to finish the faux property at the east end of the building?  There must be a story there ....  )

The one that was involved in the fire?

Yes.  It must be four years now since the reconstruction took place, but the building seems not to have been finished, nor has there been any hint of tenants, afaik.
(11-26-2019, 11:00 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:30 AM)Square Wrote: The one that was involved in the fire?

Yes.  It must be four years now since the reconstruction took place, but the building seems not to have been finished, nor has there been any hint of tenants, afaik.

To venture a guess, I'd say the work done to satisfy the insurance payout was done at the time, but other necessary steps for occupation have gone undone.

I'm curious, why is this called American Block? Is that historical or just some cheap marketing name it's getting?
(11-27-2019, 04:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm curious, why is this called American Block? Is that historical or just some cheap marketing name it's getting?

I don’t know how old it is, but it’s definitely not associated with the current re-development.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »