Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Block Redevelopment | 3 fl | Proposed
The interior and rear have little historical value. The facades are another story.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Why do grocery store chains not see the option of operating mini-versions of their stores? Here in Switzerland we have Coop and Migros as the major chains, with "Coop-City" or "Migros (mini)" every two blocks in the city centres. Tescos in the UK does the same. It seems crazy that we don't have more mini-urban grocery stores. This corner at King/Queen would be a perfect location!
Tesco is a great example, they have five (!) different variants:
  • Tesco Extra (100,000+ sq ft)
  • Tesco (50,000 sq ft)
  • Tesco Metro (11,000 sq ft)
  • Tesco Express (2,200 sq ft)
  • One Stop (1,000 sq ft)
Loblaws has the Wholesale Club but otherwise they really have not really embraced the different size formats, instead looking at different buyer demographics (Loblaws/Zehrs, ValuMart, No Frills, T&T etc) but in generally the same footprint.
Walmart introduced a smaller format previously in the US, I think they aren't planning on opening anymore of them for what its worth.
For comparison, Farm Boy opened its first "urban format" in Westboro a while back and it is around 17,000 sq ft. They are building a new one in the Rideau Centre that I think will be smaller than that. The American Block offers 7,500 sq ft, if I'm not mistaken.
Application to demolish portions of existing structure:

Good visual on page 4 helps to understand what may come down:
Demolish all of building'F' is described in the HIA as a cinder block addition constructed post 1950 and not of cultural heritage value or interest;
Demolish the west half of building 'G' which is a late 19th century ancillary building of modest cultural heritage value and not visible from the public realm;
Demolish the existing 50 foot chimney at the interior of the lot, which has been identified by CAHP (Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals) Engineers as being a safety risk due to its poor structural condition;
Demolish the east elevations of 'B', 'D', 'E' which are not visible from the public realm and do not include any significant heritage attributes; and
Demolish the north elevation of 'E' which is currently a blank fascade and which does not include any significant heritage attributes
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It might just be me, but that link doesn't seem to work.
(10-28-2017, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It might just be me, but that link doesn't seem to work.

Same here
Works for me.
So is Building C (along King St) part of the project but a separate property, at least for the time being?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »