Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
(07-12-2016, 06:13 PM)Drake Wrote: King Street condo plan rejected

Quote:Waterloo Chronicle
By James Jackson  
Council has rejected a controversial 26-storey condo proposed for King Street North near the MacGregor-Albert Heritage Conservation District and MacGregor Senior Public School.
The proposal from NKL Properties Inc. would have amalgamated four properties at 151, 157, 159 and 161 King St. N. for a four-storey podium containing ground floor commercial and parking, and a 22 storey tower containing 236 one-bedroom units and 14 two-bedroom units.
Councillors said it wasn’t the right fit for the neighbourhood and ward Coun. Melissa Durrell put forth the motion to reject the plan.
“One of the things that sticks out for me the most is the compatibility with the neighbourhood,” she said. “I say that because 26 storeys to zero, there’s no transition into the schoolyard.”
The subject lands are currently zoned to permit an apartment building with a maximum height of 75 metres (25 storeys).
The development first came to council last October and saw opposition from several community members, who argued it wouldn’t be a good fit for the area and would dwarf the neighbourhood and school yard.
The developer made several amendments to the proposal since that October meeting, including fewer bedrooms and larger setbacks from the rear and side setbacks, but it wasn’t enough.
“This development is, for me, a real low point,” said Coun. Mark Whaley. “The developer will not give up on 26 storeys even though our zoning bylaw says 25 storeys … there’s been no willingness to be a part of the community, but to build a large, overbearing building.”
The developer had promised to save the façade of the non-registered heritage building at 151 King St. N. and rebuild it in the foyer of the tower, but removed that as part of the revised plan brought forth last week.
The building would have been across the street from a twin-tower condo development adjacent to St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and church spokesperson Daniel Monforte argued against the project.
“It’s going to change the dynamics of the entire neighbourhood,” he said.
Kae Elgie said the hundreds of residents of the condo would not be integrated well into the community given their isolation inside the tower. She urged council to reject it.
“I’m asking you to do this because I’m concerned for the future of the city, particularly the uptown neighbourhoods north of Bridgeport,” she said.
Council was also critical of the developer for putting units in the so-called District Condos project up for pre-sale in January of this year — before the project had even been approved.
Glenn Scheels of GSP Group, speaking on behalf of the developer, said units can’t be sold before the building is approved and that it’s more of a reservation for interested purchasers.
The sales website, www.districtresidenceswaterloo.com, touted the units as “now selling” as well as its proximity to Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, along with the city’s innovation centres. Tentative occupancy was fall 2018 with prices starting at $276,900.

A couple thoughts on this. First, I am not certain how compelling an argument Whaley makes with comments such as"...a large overbearing building...[will] change the dynamics of the neighbourhood...". The site is zoned for 25 stories, yet the council gets their backs up about 26 stories. I am sorry, but I am missing the fundamental difference here. Regarding flow to that part of the city, I fail to see what difference a single story makes.

I am personally not supportive of a huge tower being built either. I find the argument about 1 story ridiculous and a weak argument. 25 stories is wrong.

My other issue here is the presale of units prior to zoning approval. I really hope the condo industry gets regulated by the government sooner than later. Cobbling together some basic plan, advertising a 2018 occupancy date and having nothing more than wishful thinking taking place before starting to collect money is not enough. This is a fraud in the making and this kind of activity should be illegal.

Was the height the only zoning change they asked for?  Could they not chop off a floor to get to 25 and then get approved right away?  I'm not sure exactly what the zoning changes were they were asking for
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: District Condos | 83m | 26 fl | Proposed - by Spokes - 07-14-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 07-16-2020, 11:05 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by EdM - 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 12:13 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by nms - 03-24-2021, 12:12 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-26-2021, 11:21 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 03:01 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by CP42 - 09-22-2021, 03:54 PM