Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
(10-09-2015, 12:14 AM)notmyfriends Wrote: I thought I remembered that house being almost right up against the sidewalk there, not set back like it appears to be in the rendering.

As mentioned before, the front facade of the house will be repositioned to fit within the develpment

Do we have other regional examples of mid-high rises that build their parking directly into the building (not just the typical underground and what not). I know of One Columbia, and theirs built into their podium like extension down Columbia.

I personally really like it. An effective and aesthetic way of providing parking for residents, without sprawling a parking lot/garage out back of the building.
The building on the corner of Queen and Weber in Kitchener has a parkade inside the first few floors.
(10-09-2015, 11:55 AM)clasher Wrote: The building on the corner of Queen and Weber in Kitchener has a parkade inside the first few floors.

An example of how not to do podium parking.
(10-09-2015, 01:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 11:55 AM)clasher Wrote: The building on the corner of Queen and Weber in Kitchener has a parkade inside the first few floors.

An example of how not to do podium parking.

What do you think would be a better way? I only mention this place because it's the only one I've ever used in this region.
I've had friends who lived in this building, and I haven't found the parking too bad from a motorist's point of view. As a person walking on Queen, I don't find it too terrible, either. What's wrong with it that I'm missing?
(10-09-2015, 03:25 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I've had friends who lived in this building, and I haven't found the parking too bad from a motorist's point of view. As a person walking on Queen, I don't find it too terrible, either. What's wrong with it that I'm missing?

The street-level and podium just feels terrible to me. It tries a very little bit to look like a residential/commercial frontage on the part of the podium above the first storey, but it's not convincing. The ground floor is all walls and garage doors.

One Victoria is doing this better - the parking is in the podium, but the parts of the podium facing King and Victoria streets will be human uses.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5946...-proposal/

Sounds like they have a bit of a battle ahead of them. And for the record, the 'facade' of the house is being preserved in the lobby. Not the complete house. IMO, this makes it even sillier....

Smile
From that article: "Politicians heard variances include reduced building setbacks, reduced parking, increased height, increased density and additional commercial uses."

Those all sound pretty good to me...

In particular, there's no need for a parking spot for every resident at this location.
Quote:Politicians heard variances include

1. reduced building setbacks,
  2. reduced parking,
  3. increased height,
  4. increased density and
  5. additional commercial uses.

So lets go in order:

1. This is a good thing. Setbacks are not a good thing. They disconnect the property from the street for no good reason
  2. Another good thing. With LRT coming and the building targeted to young single professionals and students there's no need for parking for everyone
  3. About time we build a tower higher than the SunLife centre
  4. Nodes and corridors are all about increased density, and what so wrong about increased density so close to the core? Again a good thing.
  5. Again more commercial uses on the ground floor should be welcome
Yes, all of these are variances but in the right direction. What this shows is that many of the present zoning rules are out of date to modern planning principles, nothing else.

I hope city councilors see this and act on it.
(10-09-2015, 03:56 PM)mpd618 Wrote: The street-level and podium just feels terrible to me. It tries a very little bit to look like a residential/commercial frontage on the part of the podium above the first storey, but it's not convincing. The ground floor is all walls and garage doors.

This makes me mad. I mean Houston is full of equally horrible setups but they have no zoning laws and a hands off city council. But here we have a city council which has an opinion on every project being built yet lets these disastrous street fronts go by.
I know this is just cheap student housing but I can't help but find this to look awful, at least with the awkward boxes around some of the windows. The building actually looks great without that. It's an incredibly modern look. But no...where do they get these architects?
(10-28-2015, 11:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: I know this is just cheap student housing but I can't help but find this to look awful, at least with the awkward boxes around some of the windows. The building actually looks great without that. It's an incredibly modern look. But no...where do they get these architects?

These are actually luxury condos, it's not a student building. In the end, it will be occupied by a lot of rich international students, of course.

Oh is it? My mistake. Its got that built with a bucket of random Lego's look like most of the student buildings so I just assumed.
Feedback from the public on this was not supportive as expected.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/615450...ghbourhood
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »