Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
My goodness. What a hodgepodge of design themes.

The heritage house looks like the captive animal pacing back and forth in its cage at the zoo.

We have occupied very quickly a lot of prime real estate with undistinguished structures. Is now perhaps the moment for this metropolis to start insisting on design which is coherent and imaginative, before it is too late to address the growing mediocre norm?

Given that current taste runs to geometric and shiny, there is still room for creativity.

It’s a shame that the imagination of the late Frank Lloyd Wright could not have been channeled by circumstance and era to the highrise structure. This is one of his rare realized tall buildings. I have not viewed it in person, as Bartlesville, Oklahoma is not on my bucket list of cities to see.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Tower-...587513.php

http://www.wrightontheweb.net/his-works/...ice-tower/

I can’t ignore the issue of shadow raised by a previous poster. I just looked at the developer’s Urban Design Brief, which is blunt but muted.

Rather than saying:
     “If you don’t like living in the shadow world, either suck it up or sell to an assembler and move on. You are no longer needed.”

…it proposes:
     “Urban Design Brief
     Existing conditions surrounding the Site have created a shadow impacted environment. The tall towers that already exist have a heavy impact on the surrounding area. Properties within the area are cast in shadow for portions of the day already. As central locations of the City intensify, the current and future development of taller buildings within the vicinity will have a cumulative shadow effect. As more tall buildings are constructed, neighbouring properties will be increasingly affected. However, most low density properties in the vicinity are likely to be assembled and redeveloped as medium or high density developments.”
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 151 King St | 83m | 26 fl | Proposed - by eizenstriet - 10-08-2015, 12:57 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 07-16-2020, 11:05 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by EdM - 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 12:13 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by nms - 03-24-2021, 12:12 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-26-2021, 11:21 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 03:01 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by CP42 - 09-22-2021, 03:54 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by Lens - 09-24-2021, 08:47 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by CP42 - 10-28-2021, 10:30 AM