Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
I can't name any because they're almost all bad in Waterloo Region. I especially can't name any modern student building that looks good...I mean look at them. It's all the same generic precast rubbish and weird designs. Many are already visibly degrading. There is no thought that goes into the design at all for any of these projects and no will to ensure they either look good or are constructed well.

It's true for the rest of the region too. Really, none of these new condo or apartment buildings look that nice. A few have good designs like the upcoming Station Park towers, the skyscrapers going up around Park Street and the one where the bike shop is but most everything else is just awful or really generic. Look at Duke Tower for example...that was the first true skyscraper and it is absolute shit.

There are a lot of old buildings in the region that are really well done for sure, though we can kind of group those in a different category due to their age. But to me there are almost no new buildings I can honestly say look good. I like 345 King West, Idea Exchange Post Office, Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery, UW Cambridge Architecture Campus, Idea Exchange Hespeler, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, John M. Harper Branch of WPL, Balsillie School of International Affairs and some others not mentioned. Some of these are even quite old, such as the Clay and Glass Gallery which was opened in 1993 but because it was designed by a real architectural firm - Patkau Architects - you can walk into it today and it looks like it could have been designed yesterday.

I know I'm a snob when it comes to architecture, design and art but...that's what I do I guess, so I can't really look at a building and genuinely give it any points for not being as bad as it could have been. Best I can say about some of the new ones is that they aren't offensive.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 07-16-2020, 11:05 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by EdM - 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 12:13 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-23-2021, 10:08 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by nms - 03-24-2021, 12:12 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-26-2021, 11:21 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 03-24-2021, 03:01 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by CP42 - 09-22-2021, 03:54 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by Lens - 09-24-2021, 08:47 PM
RE: District Condos | 22 + 14 fl | U/C - by CP42 - 10-28-2021, 10:30 AM
RE: Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 07-11-2023, 06:09 PM