Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
(07-12-2023, 08:20 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I really do wish we would get some higher quality builds tho. At bare minimum I want some decent podiums and street level integration. In general though I’d just like to see bigger Toronto firms that are not TF and Kirkor working in the region. Yes there better then local firms, but they’re still bottom of the bell barrel (at least these days) when it comes to Toronto. Give me IBI at least.

Don't put all the blame on the local architects, though. Many developers start cost-cutting after having decent renders (looking at you, DTK) and end up with something with little resemblance to the original.

At least Charlie West is pretty close to the original, even if the map on the podium wall didn't quite work out as intended. I think the Vive buildings are fairly close to the original designs, too, as are The Scott and Civic 66. Some of those other developers, though ...

(07-12-2023, 02:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 08:20 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I really do wish we would get some higher quality builds tho. At bare minimum I want some decent podiums and street level integration. In general though I’d just like to see bigger Toronto firms that are not TF and Kirkor working in the region. Yes there better then local firms, but they’re still bottom of the bell barrel (at least these days) when it comes to Toronto. Give me IBI at least.

Don't put all the blame on the local architects, though. Many developers start cost-cutting after having decent renders (looking at you, DTK) and end up with something with little resemblance to the original.

At least Charlie West is pretty close to the original, even if the map on the podium wall didn't quite work out as intended. I think the Vive buildings are fairly close to the original designs, too, as are The Scott and Civic 66. Some of those other developers, though ...
While I agree that it is mostly on the developers, Local Architects need to accept some of the blame. 90 percent of the time a developer is looking to spend as little as possible to maximize their profit margins. This is nothing new. Good architects are able to take a "cheap" product like a Stubbes precast and use it in a creative aesthetically pleasing way.  528 Lancaster,  The Scott and for me Circa 1887 where all good examples of Precast panels. Unfortunately most of them are garbage i.e the gaslight district and DTK.  Architects need to learn how to design with these systems as they are only going to be more and more common. The days of 100% curtain wall towers are done.  

Back to this tower, Obviously everything is object, but to call it trash is a bit hyperbole. The building is fairly well done. The use of red brick is nice to see, the windows/ window walls look to be high quality compared to the grey and white vinyl windows we are used to see in this are of town. The podium is unique and well executed. I do wish they hadn't done gas balcony railings, but unfortunately I think it will be awhile before we see that trend drop off.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »