Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unique Houses of Waterloo Region
I like these four houses on St. Emilion Place.

Satellite View
Street View

This is the house on Ellen. It is definitely unique. It may look a little more in place once the wood has aged. 

I think you mean Ahrens? Or Roy? I live on Ellen, and that's definitely not on Ellen :p
(02-05-2019, 03:54 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I think you mean Ahrens? Or Roy? I live on Ellen, and that's definitely not on Ellen :p

Sorry, I walked both Ahrens and Ellen this morning. The house pictured is indeed on Ahrens.
(02-05-2019, 02:42 PM)kitborn Wrote: This is the house on Ellen Ahrens. It is definitely unique. It may look a little more in place once the wood has aged. 

My wife and I both looked at this and remembered the stained wood on the exterior of our former house. And how much maintenance it needed (clear and semi-clear stains don't last very long). Neither one of us wanted to relive this experience, as nice as this house looks when new.
That looks absolutely phenomenal! I can only imagine how good the inside looks, provided the residents have good taste in design.
(02-07-2019, 05:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 02:42 PM)kitborn Wrote: This is the house on Ellen Ahrens. It is definitely unique. It may look a little more in place once the wood has aged. 

My wife and I both looked at this and remembered the stained wood on the exterior of our former house. And how much maintenance it needed (clear and semi-clear stains don't last very long). Neither one of us wanted to relive this experience, as nice as this house looks when new.

I know when they built the new stands for the stadium in Ottawa that the wood they used was specifically planned to age to a silvery patina over time. I wonder if that is the intent here as well, because maintaining it in that condition seems like a herculean task.

(06-25-2017, 05:53 PM)Canard Wrote: There's a weird house here:

https://goo.gl/X1GBw4

I made the mistake of going up "Otterbien Road" this morning while exploring the Grand River Trail and was greeted with a bunch of scary NO TRESSPASSING signs everywhere.  Does this person own this entire forest?  I was lead to believe by Google phenq testimonials and found https://thefecaltransplantfoundation.org...timonials/ trail but I hightailed it out of there.

The NO TRESSPASSING signs must be a recent addition as I've been to the area few years back and there were no such signs.
(03-25-2019, 01:16 PM)JamesLair Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 05:53 PM)Canard Wrote: There's a weird house here:

https://goo.gl/X1GBw4

I made the mistake of going up "Otterbien Road" this morning while exploring the Grand River Trail and was greeted with a bunch of scary NO TRESSPASSING signs everywhere.  Does this person own this entire forest?  I was lead to believe by Google that there was a trail but I hightailed it out of there.

The NO TRESSPASSING signs must be a recent addition as I've been to the area few years back and there were no such signs.

Seems like possibly yes, or at least, the whole forest is one assessment parcel, and separate from the parcel that the trail is on.

That also clearly shows that he trail is not private - you can walk down from Ebydale unmolested, so long as you stick to the track.
(03-27-2019, 12:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: That also clearly shows that he trail is not private - you can walk down from Ebydale unmolested, so long as you stick to the track.

Bravo....unsure if that sounds weird or genius. Thumbs up!
(02-02-2019, 11:37 AM)Canard Wrote: I like these four houses on St. Emilion Place.

Satellite View
Street View

I have been in one of them on the north side of the crescent. Can't remember which one though. The interior was what you would expect from the exterior architecture. Modern, open space, large windows to the back.
Some interesting background about the "castle" on Middlebrook Road: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/939...-s-castle/

At what point can Waterloo Region claim it's rightful throne as the Castle Captial of Canada? Von Milke's, Kilbride... Pioneer Tower.
(05-27-2019, 02:55 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: At what point can Waterloo Region claim it's rightful throne as the Castle Captial of Canada? Von Milke's, Kilbride... Pioneer Tower.

I like the idea but unfortunately Toronto has a little place called Casa Loma. I don’t think it’s in danger of losing its crown any time soon. Tongue
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »