Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decided to upload an avatar, but I ran into a file size limit of 6kB, which is pretty tiny. In fact, I'm trying jpeg export from Picasa at 90x90 and running into a floor image size of about 14kB no matter how hard I cut the jpeg quality.

Is this size limit configurable? 20kB seems like a more reasonable limit.

You're right. Size changed to 25kB
Hurrah! I've been Avatared!
I dunno... on my 56K modem, it's going to take like 30 seconds to download all the avatars on a page even at 6k! 25k is really pushing it, man! That's like 6 seconds an avatar!
(02-10-2015, 11:10 AM)Markster Wrote: I dunno... on my 56K modem, it's going to take like 30 seconds to download all the avatars on a page even at 6k!  25k is really pushing it, man!  That's like 6 seconds an avatar!

Just turn up your image caching, then. You only have to download each avatar once.

... I'm pretty sure that the reason I couldn't get below 14kB on a jpeg export from Picasa was that it's stuffing a ton of metadata in the image, probably stored in bloated XML. But that underlines the hilarity of the issue. Nobody cares anymore if an image carries 12kB of overhead.
(02-10-2015, 11:10 AM)Markster Wrote: I dunno... on my 56K modem, it's going to take like 30 seconds to download all the avatars on a page even at 6k!  25k is really pushing it, man!  That's like 6 seconds an avatar!

Tongue

Are there any ISPs out there still providing modem connectivity?
(02-10-2015, 02:48 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

Tongue

Are there any ISPs out there still providing modem connectivity?

Yes ... the new lowest cost monthly plan from "R*g*e*s" (rhymes with Robbers) starts their new "56k modem" plans for $125 with 100 free messages per month ...  

Tongue

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »