Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streets with Multiple Names
(09-10-2015, 08:42 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 07:10 PM)Smore Wrote: would we then get to say that it is:

Idle Creek Dr > Fairway Cres. > Lackner > Bingemans Centre Dr. > Shirley Ave. >Wellington > Walter > Glasgow > University ...   ??

Wellington definitely terminates at Walter, rather than continuing as it: there's a stop sign, and they are perpendicular to one another. I think where Glasgow hits University is a controlled intersection, too.

Justin's example of Caroline and Bridgeport is really remarkable to me because the road has multiple names while having the same designation as a Regional road.

Also Glasgow terminates at University (at least, that part does). Part of University West of Fischer Hallman used to be Glasgow, and there is more Glasgow further West, some on its original route and some not. Maybe that’s another fun bit of trivia: what’s the most separate pieces/names into which an ancient route has been broken?

Another fun bit of trivia: what is the shortest Regional Road? I’m pretty sure I know but I’ll let others guess before giving my answer.

A long example of multiple names: Max Becker Dr., Westmount Rd., Northfield Dr., Regional Road 18, County Road 21. Unfortunately the layout of the intersection at McNab St. makes me uncomfortable to continue further. But if that intersection was arranged just a bit differently, we could continue along County Road 21 and Katherine St. Oh well. It still makes a nice drive.

Shortest - I would guess Allen where it is a regional road between Caroline and King.
(09-11-2015, 01:10 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 08:42 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Wellington definitely terminates at Walter, rather than continuing as it: there's a stop sign, and they are perpendicular to one another. I think where Glasgow hits University is a controlled intersection, too.

Justin's example of Caroline and Bridgeport is really remarkable to me because the road has multiple names while having the same designation as a Regional road.

Also Glasgow terminates at University (at least, that part does). Part of University West of Fischer Hallman used to be Glasgow, and there is more Glasgow further West, some on its original route and some not. Maybe that’s another fun bit of trivia: what’s the most separate pieces/names into which an ancient route has been broken?

I never knew that Glasgow began again at Ira Needles! That's wild.
Margaret turns into Otto at Queen St.
(09-11-2015, 08:12 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I never knew that Glasgow began again at Ira Needles! That's wild.

If you're using West - East routing, it actually begins at Highland, goes to Ira Needles and then uses Ira Needles / University before continuing into downtown.
(09-11-2015, 01:20 AM)notmyfriends Wrote: Shortest - I would guess Allen where it is a regional road between Caroline and King.

That is my answer. I doubt there are any shorter ones. Note that if I read the map correctly, it has its own number which I do not recall. There might be a jog somewhere where an even shorter segment of road is a regional road, but in this case that one block of Allen is the entire road.
(09-11-2015, 11:35 AM)timio Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 08:12 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I never knew that Glasgow began again at Ira Needles! That's wild.

If you're using West - East routing, it actually begins at Highland, goes to Ira Needles and then uses Ira Needles / University before continuing into downtown.

I remember it well from the 80s, long before Ira Needles Blvd was dreamed up.  Glasgow ran continuously from Highland, past a large barn and an auto wrecking yard, then next to the transformer station before heading into town.

Something fun I learned when I lived at 115 Park Street in Waterloo - there is *also* a 115 Park Street in Kitchener. The two houses are on the same street, but unlike King Street there is no North, South, East, West - the only difference is the city name. It was very common for cab drivers or delivery people to show up at the wrong place.

The house numbers on Park change at the border between Kitchener and Waterloo just north of Union, and Waterloo's increase as you go south but Kitchener's increase as you go north, so 189 Park Street Waterloo and 595 Park Street Kitchener are neighbours. It would have been great if Park Street had been renamed at Union, or perhaps got a directional indicator at one side or the other, which seems to be the case with most streets that cross the border.
I always hated the concept of having an "East" and a "West" version of the same street. East and West of what? It makes no sense.
(09-11-2015, 04:55 PM)Canard Wrote: I always hated the concept of having an "East" and a "West" version of the same street.  East and West of what?  It makes no sense.

Well, it certainly doesn't make any sense in KW.  The examples are many, but one of my favourites is how Victoria St S and Highland Rd W run parallel to each other between Belmont and Ira Needles Blvd.
(09-11-2015, 04:55 PM)Canard Wrote: I always hated the concept of having an "East" and a "West" version of the same street.  East and West of what?  It makes no sense.

In Waterloo, King St.

In Kitchener, Queen St.

In Toronto, Yonge St.

I don’t know any others offhand. Some make more sense than others. Long streets that head out of town in both directions sort of make sense this way. But a street with just a short piece on one side of the dividing line seems more awkward. William St. is an interesting example. There are precisely two postal delivery numbers in the “East” section.
Here’s another interesting one: complete instructions for how to get to WLU from almost anywhere West of the city:

Turn left at Fischer-Hallman.
I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet.
Northfield Dr. -> Westmount Rd. -> Max Becker Dr.
In this stretch we also have the intersection of Westmount Rd. N and Westmount Rd. N where Northfield begins which is signed as Westmount and Westmount.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Westmou...40f9?hl=en

Township Road 5 East is also named Hessen Strasse.  (Just north of Paradise Lake.)  "Strasse," in case you're wondering, is "Road" in German.  And so far as I can tell, it is the only "Strasse" in Waterloo Region.  When Berlin's name was changed to Kitchener, street names were left alone so I find it amusing the pro-Kitchener zealots missed this one.  

At the Concordia Club on Ottawa St. there is a painting on the wall that shows the club's original address as "König Straße."
Back to Lackner/Bingeman Center/Shirley/Riverbend...if you look at that one west-to-east, you can start at the Stratford airport and travel one continuous road to Lackner.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »