Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy First Birthday WRConnected!
Happy Birthday WRConnected!

Well we made it a year!  

It was a year ago today that I registered waterlooregionconnected.com.  I can't believe it.  I didn't really know what I was doing, or even what to expect when this all started.  Things at WonderfulWaterloo were deteriorating very quickly.  My goal was simple, get something up and running as fast as possible and make sure Waterloo Region had the online community it deserved.  I had no idea how many people, if any, would show up.  I couldn't have been more surprised.

In this past year we've seen a lot of changes.  We've had over 350 users register and those users have accounted for over 10,000 posts!  It's these users that make this community so great.  At first 10 posts per day was amazing, now we're over 60!  We started out with an ugly blue interface and we've changed to what I think looks much better, and runs much smoother. 

Thank you to everyone who has helped make this past year a success.  Those of you that have helped with the graphics, the site's background work, the moderation and day-to-day running of the site.  You all have helped more than you know.

Let's celebrate year one as a success, and look forward to all of the great things year two has to offer.

Justin (Spokes)

This forum's only a year old?

The raw depth and breadth of information, the size of the userbase, and the velocity of conversations is that of a much older community.

I had no idea. I thought I was joining an established place. When I brought this place up in conversation, I was always a little surprised that no one else knew it existed. Wow.
Thanks for taking the reigns Spokes. I come here daily and find it an invaluable tool for information about our region.

Cheers!
And thank you Justin (Spokes) for creating such a wonderful community! The amount of information and conversation on this forum is incredible.
(08-19-2015, 12:35 PM)chutten Wrote: This forum's only a year old?

The raw depth and breadth of information, the size of the userbase, and the velocity of conversations is that of a much older community.
Well, many of us were refugees from the collapsing state of Wonderful Waterloo, which had run for about ~4 years before that. We brought culture with us when we arrived. A lot of compiled knowledge went down with that ship... Sad
Thank you for all your efforts Justin. We done and congratulations on your achievement !!
(08-19-2015, 02:16 PM)Markster Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 12:35 PM)chutten Wrote: This forum's only a year old?

Well, many of us were refugees from the collapsing state of Wonderful Waterloo, which had run for about ~4 years before that. We brought culture with us when we arrived. A lot of compiled knowledge went down with that ship...  Sad

The culture was certainly created over there indeed.  The amount of content is a testament to this community for sure!

Thanks for creating this, Justin, and for keeping it running!

Now, everyone please chip in (see the banner at the top!) to make sure the second year is as successful as the first.
Justin, thank you for all your time and effort. Unless I am travelling or on business, not a day goes by that I don't look forward to learning about Waterloo and even sometimes sharing here on WRConnected. 

Finally, I want to remind everyone that the site doesn't just run on good will and volunteers. 

I can't be a real volunteer as others here are so I made my donation here tonight and urge everyone to make your positive support known for the site with a small donation.

WH
Happy Birthday to WRConnected!

BTW, I'm trying to make a donation but the form insists on a valid State and Zip Code. What should I do?
(08-20-2015, 12:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: Happy Birthday to WRConnected!

BTW, I'm trying to make a donation but the form insists on a valid State and Zip Code.  What should I do?

Without a PayPal account?  Choose the option to pay without an account, and the top drop-down box allows you to choose the country.  As long as you choose "Canada", you should be able to enter a province and a postal code instead.
(08-20-2015, 01:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 12:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: Happy Birthday to WRConnected!

BTW, I'm trying to make a donation but the form insists on a valid State and Zip Code.  What should I do?

Without a PayPal account?  Choose the option to pay without an account, and the top drop-down box allows you to choose the country.  As long as you choose "Canada", you should be able to enter a province and a postal code instead.

Thanks.  That worked!
Thanks everyone for the kind words. While I set this thing up, it's all of you that have made it a success. So while I've said it before, I'll say it again, thank you all!

Also, I've received donations from some of you, thank you so much! Your generosity is amazing!

I just wanted to say another huge thank you. Your generous donations have helped to cover the operating costs for this year. You guys are amazing!
Hi everyone,
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I just wanted to say a huge thank you to such an amazing community as we pass our third anniversary.  This venture has been a lot of fun and very rewarding.  As some of you know already, my wife and I just welcomed our second baby to our family and so I haven't been able to be on WRC as much as possible, but I love every chance I get to see this community and the knowledge and information it possesses.  

On another note, thank you so much to those that donated this year.  I always expected I might have to cover all of the costs myself, but with the generous donations of some, the amount of money coming out of my bank account is less than I always expected.  So thank you!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »