Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
The Bow (Arrow phase II) | 15 fl | Completed
(04-10-2018, 11:18 AM)BrianT Wrote: The site is being prepared for excavation.  A drilling machine has started work and there is a pile of steel piles ready to go.

Went bye this week and excavation is well under way.

Won't be long until we see another crane!
Crazy to me that this one is underway. For some reason I never thought it would actually happen.
(05-20-2018, 07:52 AM)Spokes Wrote: Crazy to me that this one is underway.  For some reason I never thought it would actually happen.

It took a back seat to the Barrel Yards for a long time, but it finally made it to the top of their priority list. The Alexandra project will probably be much later, though (after Schneider's?) given the amount of space they now have just a few blocks away at the Barrel Yards.
Has work at Barrel Yards slowed down?

(05-20-2018, 10:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Has work at Barrel Yards slowed down?

Was work at the Barrel Yards ever been fast? Any slower and they'd stop completely.
Wink

In all seriousness though, there seems to be a very slow and steady pace anytime I am by there. I am always tempted to take a picture, but can't really see any change from the last time I was there so I don't see the point. I am sure there is lots going on that just can't be seen from the perimeter of the site. It is amazing that they can get renters to pay those prices to live on a construction site for 5+ (10?) years.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-20-2018, 11:28 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: It is amazing that they can get renters to pay those prices to live on a construction site for 5+ (10?) years.

I’m not that surprised. The renters are really living next to, not on, a construction site, and precisely because it’s so slow I doubt it makes much noise. So really it’s just that the lot behind their building looks a bit messy. For most of them I suspect they and their guests can enter the building without even going near the construction.
Well, I don't think it's going to be much longer before we see the construction crane go up here, I went by it yesterday, and the hole is pretty deep, deeper than I thought would be needed. I am guessing before the end of the month, but that's only a guess...I am not an engineer.
Within a month, yes, unless they run into some new (and unexpected) challenges.

What are the large mats of used tires used for?:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Excavation in DTK. So much sand. So much sand ... Smile

(08-11-2018, 09:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: What are the large mats of used tires used for?:

Usually I think of those as blasting mats. I remember as a child riding through highway construction zones around Peterborough and Haliburton, where they would demolish rock outcroppings to allow levelling and straightening the road. There were similar mats used there. I think they put them on top of the rock being demolished to prevent small pieces from flying off. I’d be a bit surprised to find they need to do that in downtown Kitchener however — even the deep excavation for the QNC at the University of Waterloo didn’t get anywhere near bedrock.
(08-11-2018, 10:48 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 09:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: What are the large mats of used tires used for?:

Usually I think of those as blasting mats. I remember as a child riding through highway construction zones around Peterborough and Haliburton, where they would demolish rock outcroppings to allow levelling and straightening the road. There were similar mats used there. I think they put them on top of the rock being demolished to prevent small pieces from flying off. I’d be a bit surprised to find they need to do that in downtown Kitchener however — even the deep excavation for the QNC at the University of Waterloo didn’t get anywhere near bedrock.

There is definitely no bedrock. But they will be breaking through the concrete wall that is next to the blasting mats in the photo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »