Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon in Waterloo Region
Cynically, I expect those "opportunities for local entrepreneurs" they talk about are gig work. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but as I see it, all Amazon is doing here is taking over the handling of their local delivery so that it's done in house. It's not new jobs, because they are effectively replacing jobs at other companies who will no longer receive Amazon business. I'm skeptical that it's a net improvement economically. It may mean quicker deliveries for some customers, but it will likely mean lower wages with fewer (if any) benefits for workers.

(09-10-2020, 11:27 AM)jamincan Wrote: Cynically, I expect those "opportunities for local entrepreneurs" they talk about are gig work. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but as I see it, all Amazon is doing here is taking over the handling of their local delivery so that it's done in house. It's not new jobs, because they are effectively replacing jobs at other companies who will no longer receive Amazon business. I'm skeptical that it's a net improvement economically. It may mean quicker deliveries for some customers, but it will likely mean lower wages with fewer (if any) benefits for workers.

This is always my objection with "jobs" claims. I mean, efficiency can be beneficial, but mostly it's just lining Bezo's (being a main shareholder) pockets.  That money is coming out of local businesses which get replaced.  Maybe there are some new jobs, but most are just worse jobs replacing existing jobs.
(09-10-2020, 11:27 AM)jamincan Wrote: Cynically, I expect those "opportunities for local entrepreneurs" they talk about are gig work. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but as I see it, all Amazon is doing here is taking over the handling of their local delivery so that it's done in house. It's not new jobs, because they are effectively replacing jobs at other companies who will no longer receive Amazon business. I'm skeptical that it's a net improvement economically. It may mean quicker deliveries for some customers, but it will likely mean lower wages with fewer (if any) benefits for workers.

My expectation is that they will still use contractors/gig workers to do the delivery, but they will be driving from Shirley rather than down the 401 from Toronto.

Me, I prefer to get delivery to my local post office as there is no issue with having to be at home at the time of delivery. Unless it's something big enough to be a hassle to carry home.
(09-10-2020, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

This is always my objection with "jobs" claims. I mean, efficiency can be beneficial, but mostly it's just lining Bezos's (being a main shareholder) pockets.  That money is coming out of local businesses which get replaced.  Maybe there are some new jobs, but most are just worse jobs replacing existing jobs.

If you are thinking of retail jobs being replaced, they generally don't pay any better than Amazon. And someone will always make money on every transaction, or else the business will be going under.
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is always my objection with "jobs" claims. I mean, efficiency can be beneficial, but mostly it's just lining Bezos's (being a main shareholder) pockets.  That money is coming out of local businesses which get replaced.  Maybe there are some new jobs, but most are just worse jobs replacing existing jobs.

If you are thinking of retail jobs being replaced, they generally don't pay any better than Amazon. And someone will always make money on every transaction, or else the business will be going under.
I was actually thinking of the local delivery companies in KW, but now that I think about it, Amazon already handles their own packages in KW anyway.
(09-10-2020, 01:20 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If you are thinking of retail jobs being replaced, they generally don't pay any better than Amazon. And someone will always make money on every transaction, or else the business will be going under.
I was actually thinking of the local delivery companies in KW, but now that I think about it, Amazon already handles their own packages in KW anyway.
Most deliveries I get from Amazon are either from Intelcomexpress (who are located on Gage Ave) or Go Logistics (in rental Discount Vans)
I confess that I’ve never used Amazon. Have I missed anything?

(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is always my objection with "jobs" claims. I mean, efficiency can be beneficial, but mostly it's just lining Bezos's (being a main shareholder) pockets.  That money is coming out of local businesses which get replaced.  Maybe there are some new jobs, but most are just worse jobs replacing existing jobs.

While this is generally true, there are specific details which are worse...gig workers for example, I feel are even worse off than minimum wage workers at say Walmart, where they are actually forced to compete continuously for work, while also using their own resources.

It's just another step forward in the already problematic marathon we've been having away from workers rights and good jobs.
(09-10-2020, 11:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

This is always my objection with "jobs" claims. I mean, efficiency can be beneficial, but mostly it's just lining Bezo's (being a main shareholder) pockets.  That money is coming out of local businesses which get replaced.  Maybe there are some new jobs, but most are just worse jobs replacing existing jobs.

And none of those workers will be able to afford rent or a mortgage. My understanding that these jobs don’t pay much more than minimum wage. I suppose if one is looking for additional family income, or kids still living at their parents house. Maybe the odd laid-off worker who’s mortgage is paid off.
(09-10-2020, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If you are thinking of retail jobs being replaced, they generally don't pay any better than Amazon. And someone will always make money on every transaction, or else the business will be going under.

While this is generally true, there are specific details which are worse...gig workers for example, I feel are even worse off than minimum wage workers at say Walmart, where they are actually forced to compete continuously for work, while also using their own resources.

It's just another step forward in the already problematic marathon we've been having away from workers rights and good jobs.

I was thinking distribution centre workers, who will (almost certainly) be employees. Gig-based delivery "jobs" are far more problematic.
(09-10-2020, 02:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 01:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: While this is generally true, there are specific details which are worse...gig workers for example, I feel are even worse off than minimum wage workers at say Walmart, where they are actually forced to compete continuously for work, while also using their own resources.

I was thinking distribution centre workers, who will (almost certainly) be employees. Gig-based delivery "jobs" are far more problematic.

Fair enough, I suppose they already use gig workers for delivery here. Their warehouse jobs have problems too, but at a minimum different ones from gig work, and potentially similar to other similar jobs.
Blair Engaged loses court battle over Amazon warehouse, ordered to pay legal costs

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/blair-engag...-1.6343777
(04-05-2023, 12:51 PM)Chris Wrote: Blair Engaged loses court battle over Amazon warehouse, ordered to pay legal costs

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/blair-engag...-1.6343777

I’m a pretty big YIMBY, and I work in logistics, and I think the 401 is the best place to put a warehouse - but Jesus Christ it’s a big one. I was legit shocked when I was over in that area  for the first time in a while. Pictures don’t do it justice.
local cambridge weirdo

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »