Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girder and Panel
I'm curious if anyone here is old enough to remember the toy sets called Girder and Panel? I work as a professional architect and we use stuff for scale models and today I had a moment of nostalgia when someone mentioned these "similar" toys I've long forgotten.

They were basically plastic girders and wall panels that you could stick together and build whatever you wanted. They started coming out in the 1960s or so and as far as I know continued until I was a child in the early 1990s. Generally, they would be sold as a certain design. A simple skyscraper or mid rise structure. Some were smaller things like fire stations and so on. A few had more intricate pieces like elevators and lights. But the fun was, just like Lego, building whatever the heck you wanted. I remember going to Toys-r-Us once a month or so to pick out a new one and going crazy with them but I've never met anyone else since then who remembers these. You can view a whole bunch on this website which I think is actually still selling them.

Here's a few examples...
[Image: XZnAGOM.jpg]

[Image: 3sg4SuI.jpg]
(07-13-2015, 04:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm curious if anyone here is old enough to remember the toy sets called Girder and Panel? I work as a professional architect and we use stuff for scale models and today I had a moment of nostalgia when someone mentioned these "similar" toys I've long forgotten.

Yep! I think we only had one set (skyscraper) but I do remember them. That would be early 80s.
I had completely forgotten about those, but seeing the picture I remember having them as a kid in the mid 90s. The plastic at the joints broke too easily for a child's toy, but they were lots of fun.
I too am having my memory jogged. I remember playing with them in the late 80s. I don't remember seeing any of that when I finally packed away the toys in my childhood room, so I guess we donated them away in the late 90s. Maybe I only saw them at my cousins' place.
I totally remember those!  I had way too many sets.  I also had bridge sets with plastic roadways... I remember building suspension bridges, and lift bridges, oh the memories!

Good times!
I honestly do not remember the "Girder and Panel" build sets. In the late 1950s my brother and I got the metal coated Meccano sets like these. [Image: sEFEWIm.jpg]
Those sets look awesome. I had to make do with K'Nex myself (and lego, obviously).
(07-16-2015, 09:06 PM)MacBerry Wrote: I honestly do not remember the "Girder and Panel" build sets. In the late 1950s my brother and I got the metal coated Meccano sets like these.
We must be of similar age because while I'd never heard of "Girder and Panel" either, all too much of my childhood play time was spent with Meccanno construction sets and also their Hornby HO gauge electric train sets. I no longer have any of the former but I still have a few pieces of the latter.