Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamation
(03-13-2019, 07:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: OK PEOPLE! Here is your chance to voice your input.

https://www.ontario.ca/form/survey-regio...ent-review

Do it often, and hopefully the right decision will be made.

Did anyone else wonder why they made the "survey" so long? 

CONs have already decided (just my opinion).

Lengthy surveys like the one used here get abandoned by most respondents before they get completed.

(03-15-2019, 12:02 AM)MacBerry Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 07:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: OK PEOPLE! Here is your chance to voice your input.

https://www.ontario.ca/form/survey-regio...ent-review

Do it often, and hopefully the right decision will be made.

Did anyone else wonder why they made the "survey" so long? 

CONs have already decided (just my opinion).

Lengthy surveys like the one used here get abandoned by most respondents before they get completed.

This is so cynical, I really try not to think this.  But I'm not going to lie, I absolutely believe this already.
It may be cynical, but hard to not agree
The survey was very open ended, I cannot see them actually digesting all the data to make a decision.
If the survey had a lot of yes/no or numeric scale answers or check boxes its more likely the data may have been distilled into something that could be seriously referenced.
I was driving by KW Hydro the other day and noticed a new sign under the main sign on their pylon. The new company sharing space is Grand River Energy. It almost made me think that they are starting towards an amalgamated power utility. I did find their site and its a Joint Venture of the three power utilities in the region, but the purpose is work with industry to promote advanced energy technology.
http://grandriverenergy.com/
(03-18-2019, 02:33 PM)neonjoe Wrote: I was driving by KW Hydro the other day and noticed a new sign under the main sign on their pylon. The new company sharing space is Grand River Energy. It almost made me think that they are starting towards an amalgamated power utility. I did find their site and its a Joint Venture of the three power utilities in the region, but the purpose is work with industry to promote advanced energy technology.
http://grandriverenergy.com/

Hearing that makes me wonder if they're taking out the guess work for the name of the new city, if it happens. Grand River.
Grand River's long been my preferred name should we amalgamate since most regional services get that name. If amalgamation is pushed by the government it will almost certainly just be Waterloo though. I think most importantly it's already the name of the Regional Municipality. Changing it would kick off a process and debate that wouldn't end with any more people being happy about the name, and it would cost more money than I think the province would want to spend.

Would there not be some street name/address issues?
I'm sure there would be many street name issues, as with other communities that have amalgamated in the past.
(03-19-2019, 09:05 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Grand River's long been my preferred name should we amalgamate since most regional services get that name. If amalgamation is pushed by the government it will almost certainly just be Waterloo though. I think most importantly it's already the name of the Regional Municipality. Changing it would kick off a process and debate that wouldn't end with any more people being happy about the name, and it would cost more money than I think the province would want to spend.

I'm pretty sure neither Cambridge nor Kitchener would want Waterloo.

As for the naming the new city to anything, some things to keep in mind from outside the region perspective:

YKF = It's known as Kitchener (not from the K in YKF, that's just coincidence I believe)
VIA = Kitchener
GO = Kitchener Line
CTV = CTV Kitchener
Kitchener CMA (Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo)
Kitchener Rangers (I realize that this is minor league, but at 7,000+ per game, it's an important venue)

This are all major factors.

If past history means anything, Kitchener might be the choice if for any reason being close to the same size, population wise, as Cambridge and Waterloo combined. (233,222 for Kitchener versus 234,906 for Cambridge and Waterloo). Past history as in other cities that have amalgamated.

Changing things to Kitchener really doesn't have much an effect on outside the region, no changes really need to be made. Everything in Cambridge and Waterloo stays the same. Another benefit to Kitchener is that it is a fairly unique name. Unless you're from Australia (Kitchener has a population of 500), there is no confusion. In the US, there are several Waterloo's, including a city with an airport (Iowa), though there might be more. Same application with Cambridge, as there are a lot of them.

Of course, this discussion might very well be a waste of time, as nothing might change.
(03-19-2019, 11:55 AM)jeffster Wrote: YKF = It's known as Kitchener (not from the K in YKF, that's just coincidence I believe)

Actually it is. These abbreviations came from two-letter codes for weather stations way back in the 1920s or so; at the time our airfield was in Kitchener proper, and KF stood for Kitchener Field. Later it was moved across the river but retained its code, and the Canada-standard "Y" was added in front.
An in-depth Record piece on the possibility of fire service amalgamation: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/922...ssibility/
(03-19-2019, 11:55 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'm pretty sure neither Cambridge nor Kitchener would want Waterloo.

I am 100% certain that there would be significant disagreement. But that presumes we get a choice.

If we amalgamate ourselves then that would be part of the conversation, but if legislation comes down that amalgamates us? I would be extremely surprised.

When Cambridge was amalgamated previously, were they given a choice?
When Thunder Bay was amalgamated, they held a plebiscite on the name. Controversially, both "Lakehead" and "The Lakehead" were on the ballot, and so the vote split and "Thunder Bay" won.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »