Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Street Food Block
Duke Street Food Block

There's something that's been on my mind this morning. What do you think it is that's made the Duke Street Food Block so popular? And is it something we can replicate elsewhere, specifically, would something like this work in the upstairs part of the Kitchener Market?
The office lunch crowd is key for the DFB, I think. The Market would have a harder time attracting that clientele.
Do you mind putting in a link to the original photo? https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewsmi...5013307346
The Market wanted to become just that. A poor location for that purpose meant it just never happened.

I imagine that the Duke Food Block is the result of a couple things:
1) Good location in the middle of several office towers.
2) The long, slow demise of the towers' own various cafeteria spots leaving a void that was ripe for filling.
3) ???
Another big factor: old, cheap, small retail spaces in a building without parking.
(06-05-2015, 11:55 AM)jamincan Wrote: The office lunch crowd is key for the DFB, I think. The Market would have a harder time attracting that clientele.

I agree with this.  And it's too close to the DFB.  Maybe somewhere in King/Victoria area, near the Tannery, Pharmacy, Google and the transit centre?

As an aside: does anyone know about the origins of the DFB building?

(06-19-2015, 01:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 11:55 AM)jamincan Wrote: The office lunch crowd is key for the DFB, I think. The Market would have a harder time attracting that clientele.

I agree with this.  And it's too close to the DFB.  Maybe somewhere in King/Victoria area, near the Tannery, Pharmacy, Google and the transit centre?

As an aside: does anyone know about the origins of the DFB building?

All I know about the DFB building is that Pfiefer's Shoe Repair has been there for over 50 years.  I remember taking shoes in when I was a kid.

Biggest DFB missed opportunity - last year the Charcoal took down its sign with all the big kitchen utensils on it.  It would have looked great hanging on the wall at the end of DFB. 
Is Cheeses Murphy shutting down the Kitchener location? When I walked by today, the window had a sign saying something like "Closing -- see you in Waterloo".
(06-24-2015, 01:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is Cheeses Murphy shutting down the Kitchener location?  When I walked by today, the window had a sign saying something like "Closing -- see you in Waterloo".

Yes.
Any idea where they are locating in Waterloo? There have been a slew of stores that have closed down on the east side of King in Uptown. Possible locations?
(06-24-2015, 04:08 PM)schooner77 Wrote: Any idea where they are locating in Waterloo? There have been a slew of stores that have closed down on the east side of King in Uptown. Possible locations?

In the "Yes" link above their replies say "We will have a more permanent Cheeses Murphy menu in the @princess_cafe - and continue with various features thru the week".
They're simply moving back home; becoming one with the Princess Cafe again. There will be an all-day Cheeses Murphy menu introduced at the Princess Cafe.

(06-24-2015, 04:22 PM)Markster Wrote: They're simply moving back home; becoming one with the Princess Cafe again.  There will be an all-day Cheeses Murphy menu introduced at the Princess Cafe.

On Twitter, several people asked whether they would have longer hours, but the Cheeses Murphy replies don't answer that question.  Did you get the all-day info from them directly?

Hopefully we'll see something interesting at the DFB space Cheeses Murphy is vacating.
(06-25-2015, 09:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: On Twitter, several people asked whether they would have longer hours, but the Cheeses Murphy replies don't answer that question.  Did you get the all-day info from them directly?
No, but that's what I infer from " a more permanent Cheeses Murphy menu"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »