Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW Residence Building | 12 fl | Complete
The crane is going up.
Quite prominent from the Laurel Trail.

(06-23-2015, 07:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Why "fake" stucco?

"Fake" stucco's true name is an Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS). It's more plaster applied to layers of Styrofoam/waterproofed gypsum board with a plastic mesh reinforcing layer...
Alternate render from Masri O Arch. Does anyone know if this version is going up or the other?

[Image: 1419-165UniversityAveW-UWRes-Ext-00-web.jpg]
They're going to fit roadway in between the building and the Laurel Trail/ION? (From what I see of UWP in the background, that's what it looks like)
Yeah, it's already about 3 storeys tall.
A post by Canard in another thread prompted me to wander to the Urban Toronto forum. While meandering there, I found a voluminous thread entitled "The Plague of EIFS".

As the EIFS thread unfolds, it is documented by photographs of the "so bad they're funny" variety. They really got my humour endorphins flowing.

I'll provide the link in case anyone wants to post a contrarian defence of The Waterloo Look:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/the...ifs.19836/
Progress as of 03-Feb-2016:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Topped out? and windows going in.

(07-21-2016, 07:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Topped out? and windows going in.

There is still some rebar sticking up at the top?
There is brick going up on the southern and eastern walls.
Fun fact: the existing UW Place buildings were also originally brick before they were covered up by the current yellow siding.
Back when the complex was 'Married Student Apartments'!

My parents can vouch for those days. Mom lived in a hotel for a weekend or week while dad peeled an inch of floor wax off the floor, killed the roach carpet, and sealed vermin entryways. How far we've come.
Shot from this morning

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »