Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(07-15-2018, 11:08 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 10:47 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I think something major that might include demolition is happening soon to the Food Basics Plaza On Highland Rd/Lawrence Ave, at least the old Angel's Diner up to the old Dollar Store section. Diapers and More is closing there retail store according to there facebook page it's due to Construction and having to make an immediate decision. Kumon moved a few months ago and now Beat Goes on is moving to a new Waterloo location 341 Weber St.N next month. There are construction fences throughout the property they seem to be sawing away at some asphalt and all the street plaza signs have been down for Months. I started this thread http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1173 for any rumors people might hear or if someone finds something online. Any guesses of what's going on?
Lexington Park bought the plaza, new street plaza signs have been up for over a month, There is about to be a major renovation to the plaza fences are around the vacant units except the dollar store, details of reno are on this link. https://www.collaborativestructures.com/plans_room/

It sure would be nice if they facilitated access to the trail in behind the plaza...

But I'm guessing even if they cared to facilitate pedestrian and cyclist access from the trail network, the time for such planning has past.

What would the facilitation involve?

Based on the Lexington Park web site, the renovation will be a new façade plus interior renovations, I don't expect any structural changes.
Does anyone know what is going in at Erb & Ira Needles, by the gas bar and Royal Bank?
(07-15-2018, 01:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What would the facilitation involve?

Based on the Lexington Park web site, the renovation will be a new façade plus interior renovations, I don't expect any structural changes.

I suppose the most effective way to would be to come through the building, plus another bridge, and formalizing some of the trails on the other side.

All I know is there is a lot of mid density housing right behind that plaza, that almost certainly cannot walk to the plaza easily.

Think Traynor Ave, but there never was easy access.
(07-16-2018, 11:42 AM)scarfinv Wrote: Does anyone know what is going in at Erb & Ira Needles, by the gas bar and Royal Bank?

On the property management site it shows future development of 5000sqft but not where the construction is taking place.
https://www.mallmaverick.com/system/site...1530025078
(07-16-2018, 02:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-15-2018, 01:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What would the facilitation involve?

I suppose the most effective way to would be to come through the building, plus another bridge, and formalizing some of the trails on the other side.

All I know is there is a lot of mid density housing right behind that plaza, that almost certainly cannot walk to the plaza easily.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that the owner would give up a commercial unit to put in a cut between two halves of the strip mall. Certainly the plan is only for façade plus interior renovations.

In any case, i don't think it would make the plaza all that much quicker to access for the people in the townhouses. Unless you made the bridge, and cut another trail through the trees in the middle of the loop. That would reduce the trip from roughly 500m (6 minutes) to 200m (2-3 minutes) for the people living right in the middle, and maybe from 700m to 400m on the "left side". On the "right side" there would be little benefit as walking along Lawrence would be equally quick anyway.

New trail and bridge by the city. Lost commercial unit for the property owner. I don't think the ROI is that good in this case, I'm sure we can find other places where the same money can make a much bigger impact.

(07-16-2018, 04:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 02:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I suppose the most effective way to would be to come through the building, plus another bridge, and formalizing some of the trails on the other side.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that the owner would give up a commercial unit to put in a cut between two halves of the strip mall. Certainly the plan is only for façade plus interior renovations.

In any case, i don't think it would make the plaza all that much quicker to access for the people in the townhouses. Unless you made the bridge, and cut another trail through the trees in the middle of the loop. That would reduce the trip from roughly 500m (6 minutes) to 200m (2-3 minutes) for the people living right in the middle, and maybe from 700m to 400m on the "left side". On the "right side" there would be little benefit as walking along Lawrence would be equally quick anyway.

New trail and bridge by the city. Lost commercial unit for the property owner. I don't think the ROI is that good in this case, I'm sure we can find other places where the same money can make a much bigger impact.

Well we can agree to disagree on this issue.

But I have no idea where you're getting your walking distance, by all my Google maps measurements, walking distance ranges from 650 meters to 1100 meters.  Reducing that down to 200-400 meters would be less than half.

Also, this is relatively high density area, it *could* be very walkable, but isn't, there's a big opportunity.  There's also a question of equality, this area is relatively inexpensive, making it more feasible to not own, or own fewer cars, is a big win for social equity.

I think we have to change city and planning priority.  I guarantee you this idea has not even crossed the minds of anyone involved, let alone been costed and evaluated.

As for cost, I don't think cost is an issue, this infra would be cheap compared with the money we waste on roads...and yes, waste, I'm not anti-car, but the waste of money to rebuild Belmont at 4-5 lanes wide, when 2-3 lanes is more than sufficient is waste by any objective value system.  It would easily have paid for the infra I'm talking about (probably including buying out a commercial unit).  So yeah, not a cost issue, a priority issue.

If you put another bridge between Lawrence and the existing one it would be right at the bottom of a steep little hill. I know I would choose to walk a longer route if it meant the grade wasn't so steep, especially pulling a bundle buggy or pushing a stroller. The existing wide path you can see on the map is a loose gravel trail that topped out at 11% on my bike gps last time I went up it. I've never bushwacked from the top down to the creek but it looks fairly steep too. If you make the trail winding to ease the gradient you end up making it longer and taking away green space for asphalt.

The city should pave the existing trail that runs along the creek (all the way out to Fischer-Hallman) and perhaps also formalize the route that runs from the existing bridge up to the townhouses on Paulander but it's still a steep little bit of trail that isn't really practical for anyone in a wheelchair, pushing a stroller or using a bundle buggy.

Also the back of that plaza smells like garbage and urine.
(07-16-2018, 05:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for cost, I don't think cost is an issue, this infra would be cheap compared with the money we waste on roads...

If you are able to get the city to reallocate the road budget to building trails and pedestrian bridges, I congratulate you.
(07-16-2018, 04:19 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 11:42 AM)scarfinv Wrote: Does anyone know what is going in at Erb & Ira Needles, by the gas bar and Royal Bank?

On the property management site it shows future development of 5000sqft but not where the construction is taking place.
https://www.mallmaverick.com/system/site...1530025078

That must be old. The part that is being developed is shown as parking on the diagram.

It's just what any great neighborhood needs:  An A&W with Drive Thru  Confused
(07-22-2018, 08:05 AM)Watclif Wrote:

It's just what any great neighborhood needs:  An A&W with Drive Thru  Confused

Well, at least that's better than a McDonald's Drive-Thru. I see this cup as half-full.
That corner of town has a distinct lack of fast food options, so not a terrible thing to add.

(07-22-2018, 12:50 PM)timio Wrote: That corner of town has a distinct lack of fast food options, so not a terrible thing to add.
I agree. Now if only we could also get a Tim Hortons over here too.
Noticed today that there was construction hoarding around Volkswagen Waterloo with signs saying renovation.

The industrial building under construction on Randall Dr is quite large and the exterior looks to be nearing completion. The project is being done by GranVal Construction.

Also the space formally occupied by Caml Tomlin now has signs for a forthcoming business Heffner Cabinetry and Woodworking.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »