Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(08-21-2017, 12:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:17 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: They do have nothing to stand on, correct.

I was one of those NIMBY's in my old residence.  I backed onto farmland, that was zoned to commercial.  They built a gas station, a Starbucks, a bank, and I never one complained about the loss of my nice view.  What I did complain about was the tire shop immediately behind my home.  They had auto bays on both side of the building, so that I had five auto bay doors 80' from my bedroom window.  I had non-stop impact wrench noises all thru the day.  The city was very ineffective in helping (They did pay for consultants who's report stated the noise level was "uninhabitable" without a highway style noise barrier between the properties), but all we got was a cosmetic wooden fence.  (I get the city was stuck between a rock and a hard place as they couldn't really enforce noise by-laws, as they were the ones who approved the design).  I was on the front page of the paper, spoke to radio hosts, even ran a local campaign urging to boycott the business [Only because he became confrontational, and unwilling to close bay doors and actually started doing frequent "vehicle horn checks" when me or my neighbours were in their backyards]. 

Anyway, my new home backs onto the Grand River and I'm hopeful that it won't be developed! Smile

Yet another planning fail. Here we have an actual nuisance that apparently is legalized by the zoning (but, does being zoned for auto shop really authorize what would otherwise be a noise bylaw violation?). Meanwhile, zoning is forbidding all sorts of perfectly harmless uses all over the city.

Seems to me zoning should only allow the auto shop to operate — but the proximity to residential use should require them to keep it quiet. I mean, literally as quiet as a corner store. Not sure what that means for their operations but that’s not my problem. Probably sound-insulated doors kept closed and everybody stops whenever the doors are opened for a vehicle to enter or leave.

Yes, I had many "Off the record" conversations with senior officials from the city, and its an issue that hasn't replicated since, and most likely never will.

It's no longer my issue tho... Smile

Coke

This sounds like the kind of thing that would have made council gun-shy about allowing for the gas station+Tim Horton's on Ottawa(?), despite all the efforts the property owner planned to make to remedy noise concerns.
Quite possible... I'm going to assume it's in the same ward (I think... Kelly Galloway was originally the councillor involved, but then Paul Singh was our rep when wards were realigned... but we are talking similar part of the city), so maybe even more so.
There's work being done at 1111 Westmount Rd E in Kitchener to build out Williamsburg Town Centre. It looks like there will be a Harveys here, not sure if there will be anything else.

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but there's also been a sign for quite some time on the SE corner of Fischer-Hallman and Bleams (1250 Fischer-Hallman Rd) indicating grocery-anchored retail space available in 2018.
The addition to Bankside Terrace seemed to go up fast, but I don't get out that way much any longer:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I live over there, it's definitely been quick.

Has anyone seen details as to what's being built? How big?
The building permit is for a six storey seniors apartment building at 71 Bankside Dr.

Render of the proposed office building at 4278 King St E, KItchener.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20350447/...chener-ON/
Is that the one near the furniture store?
It's at the corner of King St E and Sportsworld Crossing.
Ah, good to see that spot filled in. Pity they weren't going taller - even two or three extra floors would be a plus.
Sign spotted on 270 Spadina Rd E (the building purchased by the Toronto-based company 270 Spadina Kitchener Inc. that was in the news a few months ago):

Could not find anything else about the application though.
Noticed that the development lands between Greenhouse Rd and Hopewell Creek along highway 7 are well in to the grading and SWM pond creation phase. A huge number of large machines all lined up along there on Sunday.

From the Waterloo City Council meeting on Aug 28, 2017 are following details:

That Council acknowledges that the contract between The City of Waterloo and Red Rock (2016) Investments Inc. to 2305 University Avenue East is terminated. That Council approve the conveyance of 7,310 square metres (0.73 hectares) of land located at 2415 University Avenue East legally described as Block 2, Registered Plan 58M-228 to Red Rock (2016) Investments Inc. at the new purchase price of $708,000

Link to the meeting agenda
https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://calen...keIoDpe7Dg

I don't know why one of the contracts was terminated and I am very curious who the proposed tenant would be. Although the property is not huge.
(09-21-2017, 03:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: From the Waterloo City Council meeting on Aug 28, 2017 are following details:

That Council acknowledges that the contract between The City of Waterloo and Red Rock (2016) Investments Inc. to 2305 University Avenue East is terminated. That Council approve the conveyance of 7,310 square metres (0.73 hectares) of land located at 2415 University Avenue East legally described as Block 2, Registered Plan 58M-228 to Red Rock (2016) Investments Inc. at the new purchase price of $708,000

Link to the meeting agenda
https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://calen...keIoDpe7Dg

I don't know why one of the contracts was terminated and I am very curious who the proposed tenant would be. Although the property is not huge.

Interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Needless to say, the property is still available as the City wants it sold off.  A much larger privately-owned plot along Millennium Blvd is available for sale, signs went up just a few weeks ago (http://www.collierscanada.com/22223#.WcUe-8ZryUk).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »