Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
Construction is moving along at a brisk pace at the Avalon Urban Towns on Highland near Ira Needles.  I noticed a 2 bedroom, 1 bath unit up for sale for $449,900.  For reference, nearby 3 bed 2 bath detached homes are going for $350-$400k, so it seems a bit overpriced, even for today's over-inflated market.

That does seem a bit much for under 1200 sq. ft, no basement, and especially with a $110 monthly maintenance fee on top of that.
(04-10-2017, 10:03 AM)timc Wrote: That does seem a bit much for under 1200 sq. ft, no basement, and especially with a $110 monthly maintenance fee on top of that.

Especially given the location is anything but "Urban".
That is nearly $400/square foot. A bit rich given the location.
Given the mania that seems to have afflicted home buyers, they will no doubt sell.
(04-10-2017, 10:03 AM)timc Wrote: That does seem a bit much for under 1200 sq. ft, no basement, and especially with a $110 monthly maintenance fee on top of that.

It's roughly comparable to a downtown condo, but without the downtown location.

A $110 condo fee ($0.09/sqft) seems awfully optimistic, though, even if the units are individually metered.
An unexpected residential proposal for a property that is surrounded by highway, industrial and commercial. I don't know if I'd call it unsettling, but it is a bit strange. http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7238...uncillors/

High rises would probably be better for this site than townhouses. Wouldn't hold my breath for the hotel; those seem to take forever to go in. Preston Heights was supposed to have a second one built and that plan seems permanently shelved.
(04-12-2017, 04:30 PM)KevinL Wrote: An unexpected residential proposal for a property that is surrounded by highway, industrial and commercial. I don't know if I'd call it unsettling, but it is a bit strange. http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7238...uncillors/

That is a bit of a strange location.  Looking at a map however, it does appear that straight across the highway is a number of schools, parks, and other amenities.  Such a development would be far more interesting if it included a bike/ped bridge over the highway to access Holiday Inn Dr.
When you get down to it, I don't see too much difference between building residential here than building residential on Hespeler, which is ultimately planned. The only real difference is that this location is about 1km away from the future ION LRT stop.

I would like to see greenspace as part of the proposal, as this is one of the last significant parcels of greenspace in the area, as well as pedestrian access to SmartCentre without trekking all the way down to Pinebush. A bridge over the 401 would certainly be a good idea. Though I don't imagine you'll be able to get the developer to pay for it.
Residential here is surely targeted at 401-bound commuters.
(04-12-2017, 05:21 PM)Markster Wrote: I would like to see greenspace as part of the proposal, as this is one of the last significant parcels of greenspace in the area

It's not in the article, but a map was tweeted of the proposed development. The large woodlot would remain intact, and a smaller open park would also be created.
(04-12-2017, 05:21 PM)Markster Wrote: When you get down to it, I don't see too much difference between building residential here than building residential on Hespeler, which is ultimately planned.  The only real difference is that this location is about 1km away from the future ION LRT stop.

I would like to see greenspace as part of the proposal, as this is one of the last significant parcels of greenspace in the area, as well as pedestrian access to SmartCentre without trekking all the way down to Pinebush.  A bridge over the 401 would certainly be a good idea. Though I don't imagine you'll be able to get the developer to pay for it.

Definitely access to smart centres as well.

I am unsure of the freedom that council has, can they not predicate the zone change on paying for (or paying for some of) a ped bridge?

A new development is under construction at the southeast corner of Hespeler Road and Dunbar. Naturally, since it's on the proposed LRT route/intensification corridor and close to an LRT station, it's going to be a strip mall facing Dunbar with a huge setback.
Proposed stacked townhouse development on Morrison Rd is seeing resistance from local residents.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/725781...evelopment
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »