Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(09-03-2022, 07:54 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 10:52 PM)razzie13 Wrote: There's a ton of work going on next to Bingemans at the moment just to the left of their main driveway going down the hill. It feels a bit too far East to be related to Highway 7.

Is this in the old paintball area?

IIRC Bingemans is expanding...something. Possibly the campground area. I read something on Reddit about it recently.
(09-04-2022, 01:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: IIRC Bingemans is expanding...something. Possibly the campground area. I read something on Reddit about it recently.

I got this link from Reddit. Stage set for potential new development at Bingemans property in Kitchener
Interesting. Thanks. I wonder what "heavy industry" implies. When I hear that I think of dirty industries. IDK that kind of zoning in this region well enough to guess. It'd be odd to put something polluting near a recreational area.
Looks like EMP-3 to EMP-5 zoning in the area which is as "heavy" as industrial zoning gets for Kitchener. It would make sense as that entire area around Victoria and Shirley is designated the same.
There's a building proposed for 496 Huron Road (it is unrelated to the nearby Lexington Park). 10 floors with 148 residential units.
I noticed they're tearing down the old Walmart at Stanley Park Mall. I recall overhearing a cashier at the dollar store say it's going to be a two floor Canadian Tire but that seems unusual. Does anyone know what they're planning to do with that? I know they were speculated to be the tenant but I didn't think they'd do a multi-level building. A larger one for building perhaps, but with such little parking there it seems unusual.

(09-22-2022, 09:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: I noticed they're tearing down the old Walmart at Stanley Park Mall. I recall overhearing a cashier at the dollar store say it's going to be a two floor Canadian Tire but that seems unusual. Does anyone know what they're planning to do with that? I know they were speculated to be the tenant but I didn't think they'd do a multi-level building. A larger one for building perhaps, but with such little parking there it seems unusual.

I've seen discussion I think both on here and Reddit more or less confirming the Canadian Tire from Victoria St is moving there. I've seen nothing about 2 floors though, maybe second floor offices like high ceiling grocery stores have?
I don't know about the Stanley Park location, but the enormous new Canadian Tire at Carlingwood in Ottawa is two storeys, as is the Carling Ave store that it is replacing.
(09-22-2022, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know about the Stanley Park location, but the enormous new Canadian Tire at Carlingwood in Ottawa is two storeys, as is the Carling Ave store that it is replacing.

How do they use the multiple floors? It seems to me that grocery carts would have an uneasy relationship with multi-level stores. The only place in town I’m aware of that has multiple levels and grocery carts is Stanley Park Zehr’s, but there the actual store is one level the same as any Zehr’s; only the parking access is unusual.
Elevators and escalators. There are escalators that will magnetically lock a shopping carts' wheels when it's on it. The Zehrs in Stanley Park Mall has this as do a lot of IKEA stores.
(09-23-2022, 01:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: Elevators and escalators. There are escalators that will magnetically lock a shopping carts' wheels when it's on it. The Zehrs in Stanley Park Mall has this as do a lot of IKEA stores.

Magnetic?

These are very common where I live now, assuming they are the same thing, they are not a magnetic interface, but a mechanical one. The escalator (not steps, but a ramp) has a grooved surface and the cart wheels are narrow rubber disks, which slot into the grooves and stick with friction. It is pretty cool, albeit kinda annoying because you can't roll the cart, so everyone is stuck moving at the slow speed of the escalator. The teeth at the bottom of the escalator pop the wheels out when you get to the bottom.
The Target at Masonville Place had a shopping cart escalator beside the normal escalators.
Also for a throwback, the Canadian tire on King and Borden was a two floor store.

What I meant was, how do they allocate parts of the store between the two levels? I’ve used the shopping cart movators at Stanley Park, but one only needs to use them once when arriving and once when leaving. Taking the main floor of a Zehr’s and splitting it between two floors seems like it would introduce more friction into the shopping experience than having parking on a lower level.
(09-23-2022, 06:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 01:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: Elevators and escalators. There are escalators that will magnetically lock a shopping carts' wheels when it's on it. The Zehrs in Stanley Park Mall has this as do a lot of IKEA stores.

Magnetic?

These are very common where I live now, assuming they are the same thing, they are not a magnetic interface, but a mechanical one. The escalator (not steps, but a ramp) has a grooved surface and the cart wheels are narrow rubber disks, which slot into the grooves and stick with friction. It is pretty cool, albeit kinda annoying because you can't roll the cart, so everyone is stuck moving at the slow speed of the escalator. The teeth at the bottom of the escalator pop the wheels out when you get to the bottom.

It's electronic - the same system they use to disable carts leaving the property. I'd think the locking mechanism is passive and powered entirely from RF, but I'm not actually sure on that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »