Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(02-06-2024, 12:42 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 12:37 PM)SF22 Wrote: New stacked townhouse development proposed for 135-161 Jackson St, Kitchener. This is just inside the highway ring, but I've added it to Suburban updates just because it's in a very residential area that's not particularly close to any current density.

This is currently one big house that is hidden in the middle of a block, behind all the surrounding houses. The house and its pond will be removed, as well as 5-ish surrounding homes, to make space for 120 units, most of which will be 2 bed+den. They are also including their own little playground for kids, so definitely encouraging families with one or two kids to live here. They will be three storeys tall plus basement units.

Full reports are here: https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...701880.pdf

I feel like the proposed stacked townhomes actually suit this neighbourhood better than a single gated mansion. It hurts to look at all that parking, but it seems like an easy win otherwise.

Totally agree! Plus they're keeping some amount of the existing established trees, which is always good to see. It sounds like they're also incorporating indoor bike parking somewhere, so hopefully this neighbourhood sees an increase in bike facilities. I don't think there's much beyond the on-street 'separated' lanes on Ottawa and the Delta St MUT, both of which are nearly a kilometre away.

I had no idea someone had stuck a gated mansion into the centre of a suburban block until I looked up this address. Very bizarre, and this will be a far better use of the land.
That place is crazy. I would not enjoy living there surrounded by all those houses. I also couldn't imagine sharing a property line with about three dozen other properties, seems like a nightmare to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4411661,...?entry=ttu
That's actually quite good looking. Yeah, I'd like less parking, but even in the Netherlands, there'd probably still be a fair bit of parking (although, it would take less space). But yeah, it's going to be held back by the wide WIDE 1960s streets surrounding it.

But yeah, I'm sure the council meeting will be filled with people from the surrounding area explaining how this would ruin their lives.

I am curious though...does the mansion not predate the neighbourhood?
(02-06-2024, 02:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am curious though...does the mansion not predate the neighbourhood?

The property probably does, but the house was built in 1997.
(02-06-2024, 01:37 PM)Chris Wrote: That place is crazy. I would not enjoy living there surrounded by all those houses. I also couldn't imagine sharing a property line with about three dozen other properties, seems like a nightmare to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4411661,...?entry=ttu

I remember when I went to Eastwood for a bit, all the students had some rumours of this place. I forget them now, but I think it was something about them being very rich.
From the air (thank you Google Maps), that larger house looks relatively modern. I wonder what the story of that property is. Was it previously an empty lot, or had it been reserved for school before the big house was built?

(02-07-2024, 06:34 PM)nms Wrote: From the air (thank you Google Maps), that larger house looks relatively modern.  I wonder what the story of that property is.  Was it previously an empty lot, or had it been reserved for school before the big house was built?

I confirmed it as a 1997 construction date.

I would guess that it used to be an old farmhouse, given the nature of the lot. But that's just a guess.
(02-07-2024, 10:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 06:34 PM)nms Wrote: From the air (thank you Google Maps), that larger house looks relatively modern.  I wonder what the story of that property is.  Was it previously an empty lot, or had it been reserved for school before the big house was built?

I confirmed it as a 1997 construction date.

I would guess that it used to be an old farmhouse, given the nature of the lot. But that's just a guess.

An old farmhouse that didn’t garner massive attention from the heritage committee?! Weird!
(02-08-2024, 02:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 10:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I confirmed it as a 1997 construction date.

An old farmhouse that didn’t garner massive attention from the heritage committee?! Weird!

Just a guess. It could be that it had deteriorated or even collapsed/
(02-08-2024, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 02:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: An old farmhouse that didn’t garner massive attention from the heritage committee?! Weird!

Just a guess. It could be that it had deteriorated or even collapsed/

Heh...you are more generous/charitable than I am...that's not a bad thing.
I also played the game of guessing which houses around it might have been the original house on the property before it was severed. There are few good candidates.
(02-06-2024, 12:37 PM)SF22 Wrote: New stacked townhouse development proposed for 135-161 Jackson St, Kitchener. This is just inside the highway ring, but I've added it to Suburban updates just because it's in a very residential area that's not particularly close to any current density.

This is currently one big house that is hidden in the middle of a block, behind all the surrounding houses. The house and its pond will be removed, as well as 5-ish surrounding homes, to make space for 120 units, most of which will be 2 bed+den. They are also including their own little playground for kids, so definitely encouraging families with one or two kids to live here. They will be three storeys tall plus basement units.

Full reports are here: https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...701880.pdf

The Record: Developer wants to replace six homes with 120 townhouses in Kitchener neighbourhood

It appears the WCDSB has been making progress with the new school they want to build at 50 Thaler Ave. The land swap with the city has yet to be approved (they want to build a new public park facing Thaler Ave and use the space the current one occupies for the school...a good idea, I think, since having a public park for children located next to a 4 lane arterial road isn't nice) but they have continued to develop plans for both a school and now a child care centre.

I guess enrolment at WCDSB has been growing because they're also proposing that absolutely massive middle and high school not too far away.
New subdivision development proposed by Activa in Waterloo next to Rim Park/Carriage Crossing:

“The developer, Activa, is proposing to build a mixed-use development that would consist of new residential and commercial buildings with recreation and conservation lands at 400 Millennium Boulevard. The plan of subdivision consists of single detached buildings, townhouse buildings, mixed-use medium density residential buildings, commercial buildings, a public park and stormwater management pond.”

https://www.engagewr.ca/400-millennium-b...gcljdJ2rsE
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »